×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Rhine Valley
    Posts
    93

    Stuck: Can't get localization of App Title to work

    Hi everyone,

    I'm stuck: I tried to localize my App Title. I tried according to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=VS.92).aspx, having a neutral language of de-DE and an additional language of en-US.
    Now my app always has an english title, but the contents are correctly displayed according to the selected display language.
    I tried a lot of things, like using region neutral languages (DE) or swapping neutral and additional language but I_m stuck with the problem.
    My VS is english, but I don't know how that can influence the app, because I inspected the xap package and there is no trace of english hidden as far as I can see.

    Has anyone experienced the same problem and maybe found some clues?

    Thomas

  2. #2
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    88

    Re: Stuck: Can't get localization of App Title to work

    Hello,
    Did you try "forcing" the culture thread in the App.xaml.cs file in InitializeLanguage ?
    Try something like
    System.Globalization.CultureInfo.DefaultThreadCurrentCulture = new CultureInfo("de");
    System.Globalization.CultureInfo.DefaultThreadCurrentUICulture = new CultureInfo("de");

  3. #3
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Rhine Valley
    Posts
    93

    Re: Stuck: Can't get localization of App Title to work

    Hi WPMorocco,
    I didn't try but I don't think that can help as the app title is not generated at runtime of my app. It's read from a resource-only DLL that has to be linked by the OS.
    Thomas

  4. #4
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Rhine Valley
    Posts
    93

    Re: Stuck: Can't get localization of App Title to work

    Got it!

    I compared my project to the new MSDN Globalization sample (http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/wpapp...ample-ef20151f) and found two differences. I think the second one was most important:

    1) In all resource DLLs all resources had the en-US language tag. I had used the language tag of my neutral language, de-DE.

    2) A copy of the AppResLib.dll with the language neutral code+.mui appended (AppResLib.dll.0407.mui) was in the project and the xap package. I had had just the AppResLib.dll and the secondary dll (AppResLib.dll.0409.mui).

    HTH,
    Thomas
    Last edited by influencer; 2012-11-20 at 13:15.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Stuck: Can't get localization of App Title to work

    Worth creating a wiki "tip" for this?

  6. #6
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Rhine Valley
    Posts
    93

    Re: Stuck: Can't get localization of App Title to work

    Sure.
    I noticed many people had this problem but often no solution was found.
    Might guide some people searching for a tip to the wiki ...

    I changed one more thing in the resource dlls and the corresponding app manifest but want to wait for the store approval of my app update to see if it has worked.

    Thomas

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Stuck: Can't get localization of App Title to work

    Thanks. Let me know when you've created one and I can do a subedit for you (assuming that is OK?)

  8. #8
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Rhine Valley
    Posts
    93

    Re: Stuck: Can't get localization of App Title to work

    Hamish,
    you'll find the article here: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...g_the_app_name
    Thomas

  9. #9
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    964

    Re: Stuck: Can't get localization of App Title to work

    Quote Originally Posted by influencer View Post
    Hamish,
    you'll find the article here: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...g_the_app_name
    Thomas
    Thanks for sharing Thomas. Nice article.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Stuck: Can't get localization of App Title to work

    Much appreciated. Of course I now find myself too busy to check it properly. Will add it to the list

Similar Threads

  1. Stuck in QA.
    By HugoFerreira in forum [Closed] Publishing to Nokia Store
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2009-07-13, 18:17
  2. STUCK
    By g000g in forum Symbian
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2008-11-16, 15:06
  3. BufferedImageDecoder stuck
    By c.kirmse in forum Symbian Media (Closed)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2006-08-01, 17:40
  4. I am stuck
    By Cepman in forum General Messaging
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2002-08-17, 10:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×