Discussion Board

Smile notification on nokia S40

Good day!

I am doing an IM application on S40 using JAVA ME. I would like to know, when the application is closed, how to get notify(prompt a dialog with the message and icon on the status bar) when a new message arrives. I tried with push notification but it doesn't help me, Although I can wake my application up with the network(push with socket) or sms, I can't have either a dialog(prompt dialog when notification occurs) with an custom message nor set icon on status bar.

I believed it can only work on symbian devices because the app can run in background until when I saw it on whatsapp application for s40, I went through all the s40 api I couldn't make it.

Can someone have any idea about?

Thanks

Ronald TAMBAT
    Developer at HowzIT
    South Africa

Super Contributor

Re: notification on nokia S40

OK, so let me prefix this by saying that I am NOT a java expert, so if this doesn't help, I probably won't be able to add anything else.

There are two issues here, getting your app launched and displaying a notification.

For the first part, there are several documents on wiki about using PushRegistry - like How_to_launch_a_MIDlet_via_SMS_remotely_or_locally_via_an_Alarm_with_PushRegistry_in_Java_ME.

Although I can wake my application up with the network(push with socket) or sms, I can't have either a dialog(prompt dialog when notification occurs) with an custom message nor set icon on status bar.
    I would point you specifically to this section: PushRegistry#To_determine_if_the_MIDlet_was_invoked_by_an_incoming_message:. It seems to me that this section explains how you can tell if your app was woken using a message - and you said you've already got this working. There doesn't appear to be any way to get the payload, but since you know you were woken by a message you can query your server and ask for the last message. Then you can display it however you like.

The second part is display. I don't know if there is any way to update the status pane from a Java ME app (though this is possible on Symbian C++). I suspect not. However if you're using LWUIT, then a good place to ask would be the LWUIT project discussion board. However if you can get the message by re-querying the server then why can't you just display a dialog?

regards
    Hamish

Super Contributor

Hello Ronald,

I am not a Java Me experienced developer (yet) but I believe you need to search for keywords like "push registry j2me".

Please, take a look at the documentation below and all the good links pointed by Hamish.

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...lications.html

Marcelo Barros

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by NaPsTeR ScofielD View Post
    Good day!

I am doing an IM application on S40 using JAVA ME. I would like to know, when the application is closed, how to get notify(prompt a dialog with the message and icon on the status bar) when a new message arrives. I tried with push notification but it doesn't help me, Although I can wake my application up with the network(push with socket) or sms, I can't have either a dialog(prompt dialog when notification occurs) with an custom message nor set icon on status bar.

I believed it can only work on symbian devices because the app can run in background until when I saw it on whatsapp application for s40, I went through all the s40 api I couldn't make it.

Can someone have any idea about?

Thanks

Ronald TAMBAT
    Developer at HowzIT
    South Africa
    Push Registry via SMS is the only solution for such cases, to launch the midlet on new message - it works on S40, I have tested on Emoze IM client on S40. You can try static pushRegistry on S40.. i.e. via entry in the JAD file..... check the push Registry wiki links provided by Hamish in the thread below... it will work. You may need to setup proper permissions and may sign the app with trusted 3rd party certificates.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps