Discussion Board

Lwuit S40 Orientation change problem

Hi all, I´m developing an app for S40 SDK 2.0 and using S40 Lwuit implementation, i got a problem when i use the orientation listener and i change the orintation: If I start the app in landscape mode and then during the run i change to portrait, the bottom of the screen is cut, like if the screen size got fixed as the height when it was in landscape mode. The cut part appears as a white bar. You can see this same issue in the Tourist Atraction demo app in the S40 Lwuit page, run the app in landscape mode and then change it to portrait mode and the screen will be cut. Has anyone found a solution for this? I have tried capturing the event of the orientation change and giving a specified height to the form, but with no luck. Thanks in advance.

Re: Lwuit S40 Orientation change problem

This is a real bug.
    I see this in the N97 phones and I gave up trying change the orientation.
    I also realized that this bug affects the "tiles" of the Game Canvas, in this part of the screen they disappear. To circumvent the problem of the tiles I used images one by one to do the job of tiles.

In your case you can try to specify the screen size manually in each orientation. This bug is in the return valor of "getHeight()" and "getWidth()".

Good luck!

If you haven't already, please post a defect in the Series 40 LWUIT project. Then the owners can evaluate and hopefully provide a fix!

I see this bug is repeated in various devices, including other manufacturers like Motorola for over 7 years. I think it's a bug of Java VM, it makes sense because the latest version MIDP 2.1 is quite old, at that time there were not many devices that could change the screen orientation.