Discussion Board

Ovi Maps and GMap.NET

Hello,
    I hope I have posted this message in the appropriate forum.
    I’m working on a winform application in which I would like to embed Ovi maps. Using the .NET control GMap.NET (http://greatmaps.codeplex.com/) this is easy but it’s not clear to me whether using Ovi Maps in this way is allowed under the current Terms and Conditions. The application will be non-commercial and available for download free of charge.
    So my questions are:
    1. Can I use Ovi Maps on a non-commercial desktop application (not a website or mobile app)
    2. Can I do this using Gmap.NET

I would greatly appreciate your feedback.
    Many thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: Ovi Maps and GMap.NET

The current terms and conditions can be found here: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Develop/Maps/TC.html. I'm a developer, not a lawyer, but the legality of the use will depend on the interpretation of the following:

6.3 Use of the Service

When using the Service, unless otherwise agreed in writing with Nokia, You hereby agree that You will not:
    (ii) use or incorporate, the Service or any part thereof in connection with any of Your Applications:
    (f) create a “wrapper” or similar abstraction layer for the Service by means of Your Application or an API or service that You provide to third parties.
    (vi) create an Application which displays any Content outside of the Service. For example, You may not use Content outside of the Nokia Maps service. You may not combine, mix or commingle any Content or Features with third party APIs, services or content
    For a definitive answer, your best bet would be to contact: locationapi@nokia.com