Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Virual keyboard open close notifiation

I have a speech recognition button that needs to appear when the virtual keyboard opens, actually I need it to appear whenever a text input field becomes visible but I am not really sure if this is possible. I do know I can get these events in QML even if my application is not in focus but my application will be a background task with a Symbian C++ ui (button) so I cannot use QWidget or the QML viewer which is derived from QWidget otherwise my application will become visible in task manager. Because this is possible in QML it must be possible in Symbian C++ because Qt functions are implemented with Symbian C++, my only problem is I cannot find out how. I already have a working button that can be visible with the keyboard so no worries there I only need a way to hide and unhide when the keyboard appears. Do any of you know how?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Virual keyboard open close notifiation

Is this what you are looking for : http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ring_VKB_state

Though its for only Symbian^3 & above devices.

Quote Originally Posted by vineet.jain View Post
    Is this what you are looking for : http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ring_VKB_state

Though its for only Symbian^3 & above devices.
    Thanks but I have already tried it but it only seems to really work with the input area on the application self, when I open the keyboard in other applications it has no response most of the time, can you think of something else that I can try?

Nokia Developer Moderator

FEP-s are loaded into the given application, so P&S properties are the most they can offer for observing. What do you mean on 'most of the time'?

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    FEP-s are loaded into the given application, so P&S properties are the most they can offer for observing. What do you mean on 'most of the time'?
    When opening the keyboard in some applications I at least get the closing notification which is wrong but still more than nothing.