Discussion Board

Security breach : what is the procedure?

I believe I have a somewhat serious security breach from Harmattan to report to Nokia.

How to proceed?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Security breach : what is the procedure?

I suppose it would be part of meego bugzilla: https://meego.com/community/bug-tracking appears that our bug reporting tools are not having Meego in there

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    I suppose it would be part of meego bugzilla: https://meego.com/community/bug-tracking appears that our bug reporting tools are not having Meego in there
    Thanks symbianyucca.

EDIT: Nevermind.

EDIT2: the bugs filed on meego.com are almost TWO years old....are you sure this issue will be considered if I file it in there????
    And anyway, I guess someone from inside Nokia would have to fix this, right? Is there such a person today still?
    I know the support on Meego has been pulled, but security wise there should still be commitment? Or did N drop this too?
    Last edited by tkastlunger; 2012-11-24 at 22:07.

Regular Contributor

Harmattan was never part of meego.com focus, because it's not really Meego. There was separate bugzilla for it but it's now closed and was "replaced" by a thread on this forum. But to answer your original question, I don't know.

Thanks mikkovtr!
    How to find out?

Quote Originally Posted by tkastlunger View Post
    Thanks mikkovtr!
    How to find out?
    Well the official place to report any Harmattan defect is now the thread here. If it is "sensitive" then feel free to send to me though private dibo messaging or email and I'll make sure it is forwarded correctly.

Regards
    Hamish

Ah, you mean the bugs for PR updates, right? I can post it there too; but as it might be serious (although according to some in the community the issue has been known forever)having it out there is perhaps not sensitive methinks; considering also it seems no PR updates will be released ever anymore, it seems to me the thread is more of a "forgotten bugs memo" than a proper bug tracking thread (whatever that might be I do not know)...I will pm you with it.
    Last edited by tkastlunger; 2012-11-26 at 22:44.

Hi tkastlunger

Yes, I mean the Harmattan Bug Reports thread. This is the only defect tracking mechanism for MeeGo Harmattan now. In theory a critical bug might be fixed, but I can't imagine how critical it would have to be to be handled at this point. So yes, it would be reasonable to call this thread "bug reporting so that other developers know that something is a genuine OS problem and not their own code" repository (a little kinder than "forgotten bugs memo")

If the issue is not sensitive then it can go into that thread.

Thank you

Regards
    Hamish

Quote Originally Posted by hamishwillee View Post
    a little kinder than "forgotten bugs memo"
    Touché

Jokes apart, I reported the bug. Now, I dare you to proof me wrong. If I loose, I will happily drop the "forgotten bugs memo" naming .
    Nothing personal, I am aware that the decision is not up to you and I am sure you will do whatever is needed so that the higher levels are aware of this.
    I will be waiting here then for the fix *sits down on the bench at the entrance*.
    Best,
    tk
    Last edited by tkastlunger; 2012-11-27 at 16:32.

I agree with your right to call them "forgotten" or "not going to be fixed" bugs - since it looks very unlikely they will be addressed. However I'd argue my name is just as valid - since collecting bugs that you don't plan on fixing is still useful for other developers.

I will of course point this to management, and (more important) seek a concrete statement of Nokia's current position on the platform.

I understand, and I think it is to be expected for Harmattan to be forgotten. Pity or not, at least a statement from Nokia to know where we are, what actions will be taken (or not) would help in giving
    a good idea.