Discussion Board

Question Pedestrian navigation question on Nokia Maps for Nokia 808 Pureview

Dear all,

This is my first time posting here, and I wish I found the right place to ask this, but apologize in advance if not. In that case, please could you kindly navigate me to a proper forum, thanks!

I have updated my recently obtained Nokia 808 Pureview with the latest firmware and Nokia Maps application versions.

As I currently am living in Berlin, I had used the pedestrian navigation to find my way from Tiergarten U-bahn station to Jagowstrasse in Tiergarten, Berlin.

On my way I had to go across the Hansabrucke, which has been there for pedestrian use for ages I suppose. Now, the Nokia Maps routed me alongside the riverbank to right, following the walkpath alongside the river, but to a completely 90 degree deviation from the direct path that should have lead over the Hansabrucke.

As an oddity, the map was able to actually show the Hansabrucke as a bridge over the river and even had positioned me there while I was walking. However, should I have followed the pedestrian / walk navigation I would have ended up a major extra tour around the river possibly up to the next bridge that was able to also handle car traffic. But that was pretty far.

My humble question is whether the map really routes the pedestrian correctly and if it does, then why does the Hansabrucke not serve as a cross-over point as everybody is using it for crossing the river by foot or bicycle, even scooters every day?

And the question was not about the bridge to be unknown for the mapping software, it was able to position me with a red dot while i crossed the bridge. But only I was over the bridge and after somewhile when it understood that I actually am on the other bank of the river, it then calculated the continuation towards Jagowstrasse correctly. Also the previous "long walk" deviated route disappeared immediately.

I would be very pleased to hear your explanation on this so that as a pedestrian I can believe that the walk navigation actually thinks for the best of the one who uses it.

Kind regards,
    N808PVU
    Last edited by Nokia808PureViewUser; 2012-11-25 at 04:42.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Pedestrian navigation question on Nokia Maps for Nokia 808 Pureview

Hi there,

You are posting your query in the wrong forum. This discussion board caters to 3rd party application developers. For end users and peer support you should post your query in http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

Hello, thank you Neil

Ok will do that. Just asking, but could you kindly point me with a link to the appropriate subforum there, thanks...i do not want to post my query in the wrong forum again.

P.S. Could you not just move my post there?

Cheers,
    N808PVU

*EDIT* No worries, I guess I found it myself: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Maps...d-p/navigation
    Last edited by Nokia808PureViewUser; 2012-11-26 at 18:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia808PureViewUser View Post
    P.S. Could you not just move my post there?
    The support and infrastructure for phone end users is completely separate for support for developers - it is not possible to move threads to the other infrastructure other than manually. Neil won't necessarily know the right forum on an end-user forum better than you either.