Discussion Board

Question More than two softkeys

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding soft keys, or at least, what appear to be soft keys. My understanding is that there are only ever two soft keys: a left one and a right one. That seemed to be true on older Symbian phones that I had seen. However, looking at a Symbian^3 device, I have noticed that many applications have what appear to be more than two soft keys.

For example, in the built-in Contacts application, along the bottom there are four buttons. The left soft key is "Exit", and the right soft key is "Options". But between them are two more buttons, "New Contact" and "Find". I'm trying to figure out how to simulate pressing these buttons programmatically. I can simulate pressing the left or right soft keys by simulating an EKeyDevice0 and EKeyDevice1 key code. Does anyone know how I can simulate pressing these other "soft keys"?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: More than two softkeys

The concept of middle soft key (often referred as MSK) was introduced with S60 3rd FP2, and it was triggered via pressing "Enter", so the navipad/stick. It was defined via adding a 3rd element into a standard CBA resource. And it was possible to emulate.
    However what you see in Symbian^3 apps is a toolbar (AVKON_TOOLBAR resource). When combined with KAknToolbarWithoutCba flag, there is no CBA pane visible, and the toolbar is shifted to the bottom of the screen. Toolbars have been introduced with touch-enabled UI, and thus their items have no associated keycode which could be emulated. From this viewpoint they more resemble menus than CBA-s.

Re: More than two softkeys

That is what I needed to know. Thank you kindly for the explanation!