Discussion Board

Ovi Store UID problem

Hi,

I have a problem with sending my app to Ovi Store. My application was rejected. From Ovi Store I have the following response: "The UID used by the developer is assigned by Symbian and they cannot use this one. They need to use UID assigned by Nokia." What does it means? My application is signed by SymbianSigned.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Ovi Store UID problem

Just to make sure: is your content signed already (Express or Certified signed on the Symbian Signed site)?

Express signed

According to the theory, it should be ok. Historically distribution of already-signed applications was the earlier service, and signing-by-Nokia was introduced later, as an extra.
    According to the mail they may have tried to sign it anyway. Did you get the mail from some "noreply" address? Because if it is a normal one, the most straightforward approach would be replying to that mail and letting them know that it is signed already. Of course try to make it 100% sure that the signed file is the one which is uploaded, and perhaps check again if there is a way to mark that it is signed already.

Thanks for reply. I have got one more question. On Nokia page there is "Symbian Signed is a Symbian application testing and signing programme administered by Nokia. The program allows you to register UIDs, test your application on a live device and get the application certified for distribution in various channels." Have I do something more with my UID? I'm developer and if I registered UID on my own account (SymbianSigned) (I also sign application) and my client publish it from another account (Nokia publisher).

I really hope that someone from the store support will drop by, because I know a part of the theory only, and none of the practical stuff.
    Symbian Signed is technically operated by Nokia, but it is totally independent from the Store. So yes, you are right, probably there is a step which proves that the user account registered in the Store can rightfully distribute the application which is signed already by a totally different account on a different site. I have absolutely no idea how it is done, but trying to lure an expert here.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

The problem is with the UID (read: application) ownership. Store will refuse to sign an application if they cannot verify that the submitter actually owns it, or has the right to publish it. To verify ownership the easiest way is to compare the publisher to the UID owner - and as you say, in this case those two are not a match.
    There are two solutions. We can change the ownership of the UID (your application) to the publisher. Or you can convince Store QA that the publisher has the right to publish this content. In this case the publisher should contact publisher.support@nokia.com (or here: http://support.publish.nokia.com/?page_id=105) and provide a written approval from the developer, i.e. UID owner. This should be accompanied with details on why the publisher party is not the same as the developer party. Also there can be limitations on how often such a transfer can be done per application.

We know this can sound & be somewhat cumbersome. All this is done in an attempt to limit unauthorized use of IP.

How we can change the ownership of the UID to the publisher? It will be still possible to me to sign application on SymbianSign from my account?
    Last edited by areq47; 2012-12-07 at 12:22.

Nokia Developer Expert

The UID ownership can be transferred both by the Store support, or by the Symbian Signed support (symbian.signed@nokia.com). Either team will need to be told the exact UID (or a range begin & end UIDs), your account name, and the account name of the new owner. With these we can change the ownership.

Once the ownership is given away, you cannot use that UID anymore. If, after the transfer, you would try to sign an app with that UID, you would receive an error at Symbian Signed saying that the file cannot be signed because a UID associated with the app isn't registered to your account (or an equivalent error message).

If you already distributed the application outside the Store, the "Or you can convince Store QA that the publisher has the right to publish this content" seems to be the safer way.
    When Nokia Publish signs something for you, you actually do not get back the package, it will be available in the Store only. So you will have problems if ever want to deliver an upgrade to off-Store customers. Also, using Symbian Signed later you can publish upgrades which involve high level capability requirements. With signed-by-Nokia Publish you will be restricted to the Express Signed-level.
    Of course at the end the it really depends on the application, and your future plans with it.

Thanks for advice.

How my Written Approval should looks? What information must be included in this approval?