Discussion Board

Thread: IRC Channel

IRC Channel

Not sure exactly where to post this, but figured I would post it here and see what I got
    Does Nokia/WP7 have an "official" IRC channel? I know when I was with webOS, we had one, and it was one of the BEST ways to get help. As it was instant. I was one of the most frequent posters on the webOS development forums, till I found IRC. I still posted on the forums, but I preferred the instant help that IRC offered
    If Nokia/WP7 doesn't have a channel yet, I would be more then happy to help start it, as I've been using IRC for a while, and ran a few channels

Thanks guys!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: IRC Channel

Generally there seem to be WP7 channels already, like #wp7-dev is the first one I have found and most likely there are more. An official Nokia channel would require some official Nokia guys to be present, which is not a trivial thing. Personally I can not imagine how developer support works on IRC, in my memory it is some kind of a black hole, trading structure and searchability in favor of that instant-ness you mention.
    Anyway, the site admin will be available soon (morning in Australia) and he may give some official opinion (mine is not official, moderators are 3rd party volunteers, non-Nokians)

There is no Nokia Developer "official" IRC channel - heaps of "community ones around the place". The response time from moderators here sometimes makes this feel like one though :-0

Quote Originally Posted by hamishwillee View Post
    There is no Nokia Developer "official" IRC channel - heaps of "community ones around the place". The response time from moderators here sometimes makes this feel like one though :-0
    +1

The response time is too good at developer nokia forums. Most of the time a quick search will give you resolutions.

Hmm.. Ok. I am just a big fan of IRC, have been for over 2 years since I started using it for webOS But if the response time here is as fast as you guys say it is, I think I might just stick to here

Thanks!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by patrickc View Post
    Hmm.. Ok. I am just a big fan of IRC, have been for over 2 years since I started using it for webOS But if the response time here is as fast as you guys say it is, I think I might just stick to here

Thanks!
    Besides the fast response time, the more important point highlighted above that many queries that you might want to ask possibly are already answered...so a quick search before posting is more optimized way of getting your queries solved (obvious advantage of a Discussion board over IRC, again highlighted above, is your solution stays there for others to refer)