Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Limited number of Tabs

Hi, I would like to know if I can be able to have more than four tabs on my ui because this seems like a limitation.

these values I've taken from avkon.hrh

EAknTabWidthWithTwoTabs = 36,
    EAknTabWidthWithTwoLongTabs = 74,
    EAknTabWidthWithThreeTabs = 22,
    EAknTabWidthWithThreeLongTabs = 67,
    EAknTabWidthWithFourTabs = 18,
    EAknTabWidthWithOneTab = 107

I'd like my ui to display seven tabs all.

could I please have an example code on how I can do this?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Limited number of Tabs

I suppose that is limited to four tabs. I think that makes sense as well, increasing the number of tabs would make the tabs harder to differentiate(text/image over them won't be clear).

Anyways you can make custom tabs of your own(which is nothing but combination of images drawn over a strip) : http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ki/Custom_tabs

Nokia Developer Moderator

On button-based devices, practically in the S60 era, there was no limitation since the user was navigating with left/right between the tabs. Then there was at least one style available which had a single visible tab only and the others were collapsed on the sides. However with touch-screen, the user selects tabs with simply tapping on them, so they have to be visible all the time. Clicking on tiny arrows on the sides is not too usable, though it may be possible to test on S60 5th edition if I remember correctly, and does not provide a really nice user experience.

Hi Vineet,

I had a look at the link you sent it looks really good, but I'm not sure how to implement this, is there perhaps an example that implements it?

Another thing on the customtabs' link: the .pach file that is present; how can one apply this pach file?

please advice?

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post
    Hi Vineet,

I had a look at the link you sent it looks really good, but I'm not sure how to implement this, is there perhaps an example that implements it?
    If you have noticed there an example code already attached to that custom tab link(on the extreme right of the page, under 'article metadata' namely CustomTabControl.zip ).

Try implementing this code & if any issues occur while doing so, you can of course re-post here.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post
    Another thing on the customtabs' link: the .pach file that is present; how can one apply this pach file?

please advice?
    I do not see any such file, can you please direct me where it is mentioned.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by vineet.jain View Post
    I do not see any such file, can you please direct me where it is mentioned.
    Yes, I also tried to find it yesterday, just there were no reference to anything similar. Neither in the article, nor in the .zip file.

Hi Vineet,

I've tried implementing this CustomTabControl example with no luck. I also cant find an implemented example of this. Is there perhaps any working compilable example of this or is it possible for one of the champions to create one and add it to the CustomTabControl link?

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Yes, I also tried to find it yesterday, just there were no reference to anything similar. Neither in the article, nor in the .zip file.
    Hi Wizard, my mistake. I had mixed up the CustomTabControl article with the zip file from the CustomControl article.

Although I am still struggling to implement the CustomTabControl. Pls help...

Nokia Developer Champion

How far did you reached? were any of the images got visible on top of the bar?, you might want to discuss your implementation here.

How far did you reached? were any of the images got visible on top of the bar?, you might want to discuss your implementation here.
    I managed to add the header and the source file to 'myView' project which is already got tabs. (but I've tried replacing the tabs functionality with the custom one).

at first compile I got an error related to the following line: " KN_UI_LOG((KN_UI_LOG_TYPE_DEBUG,"CCustomTabControl::OfferKeyEventL\n"));" I commented this out and the compiler seemed to be happy.

I also added a few libraries that were needed: "LIBRARY aknskins.lib aknskinsrv.lib aknswallpaperutils.lib egul.lib"

I also changed my HandleKeyEventL to match it to the article's one.

when adding the "CreateAndShowTabsL()" class, I started getting errors and its been error after error since.

Nokia Developer Champion

Since the attachment isn't the whole project but only the file which includes tabs code, so you need to implement the missing part by yourself. For e.g.the method CreateAndShowTabsL() includes the reference of bitmap file path(KTabsFileName) & its enumerations(EMbmTabsGlobalnav_contacts etc), so of course you need to use your own icons(may be svg's, jpg etc) & provide the reference of those in your project then.

Since the attachment isn't the whole project but only the file which includes tabs code, so you need to implement the missing part by yourself. For e.g.the method CreateAndShowTabsL() includes the reference of bitmap file path(KTabsFileName) & its enumerations(EMbmTabsGlobalnav_contacts etc), so of course you need to use your own icons(may be svg's, jpg etc) & provide the reference of those in your project then.
    I understand that part of adding my own icons. I've actually commented that part of the code for now Just to display the Tab labels. but I didn't even get as far as that.

another thing is that how to I link these Tabs to my View Containers....?

Nokia Developer Champion

As said before also, custom tab is just a combination of images drawn together from an array, so if you are not drawing(you can also notice the Draw() method of that wiki code, only images are drawn) those images then no 'tab' would be there. For the time being you can simple take any image & utilize in the code.