Discussion Board

background applications?

Hello,
    I noticed on a friend's Lumia 820 that Skype seems always active in background.... so something has changed regard this in WP8 ?
    Could you please give me some hint/starting point/pointer to documentation about this?

thank you,
    regards
    pg

ps: we spent 5 min trying to logout from skype with no success... any hint on this too? :-)

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: background applications?

A lot of things changed in WP8. Skype is now built in to the OS, on People Hub, so now its fully integrated. Also for certain types of apps you can have them running constantly ion the background (apps that do GPS tracking).

Take a look here to see all the new features from a developer perspective: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...indows_Phone_8

Quote Originally Posted by pavarang View Post
    ps: we spent 5 min trying to logout from skype with no success... any hint on this too? :-)
    Surely I do not digest this idea of not being able to logout from skype. If I am not mistaken Skype was tightly coupled in the maemo 5 too (Atleast it seemed so to me..I could stand corrected on this one if otherwise), but there still was a way to log out of skype. I do not have a WP8 device to check this, but I hope there is someway to log-out. Many users might share my sentiments regarding wanting to be logged out when they would choose so.

The documentation you need for Voip apps is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/libr...vs.105%29.aspx

No idea about skype logout - don't have a WP8 device yet either. I would expect you to be able to though, because what if you have multiple accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishwillee View Post
    The documentation you need for Voip apps is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/libr...vs.105%29.aspx
    Sounds interesting... we'll investigate, thnx!

Quote Originally Posted by hamishwillee View Post
    No idea about skype logout - don't have a WP8 device yet either. I would expect you to be able to though, because what if you have multiple accounts.
    Well.. believe it or not, yesterday we were 5 people, we spent 15 min each (sort of challenge during lunch time), and we couldn't find a way to logout.... maybe we simply missed something obvious... but at least this demonstrates that it's not intuitive....

Went through the application skype in the device (Lumia 920) in the FAQs and there is written that you cannot sign out of it. If you don't want your friends to see you when you are online you can use the status "invisible"

Now this is getting interesting..I cant sign out of skype on Lumia 920!! So me have a personal and an official id which I use alternately depending on situation. How to manage that..guess I have to wait for my device before I get anxious of the use-case.

Also, do not forget that Microsoft is starting to combine MSN/Windows Live with Skype. I believe that in a couple of months or maybe a year Skype and Windows Live will be the same service.