Discussion Board

Angry NOKIA WORST DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT

I am using carbide C++ and it is not at all user friendly as compared to android. Nokia has so many formalities, first create the app then sign it, android is so simple.
    I am fed up

Re: NOKIA WORST DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT

and i dont think it has so many users for nokia to demand so much from developers.
    android has way more applications and it doesn't demand anything.

Nokia Developer Champion

Did you used carbide.c++ , just to compare it with the IDE used in the development of Android or you seriously wanted to develop something using it?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Symbian C++ is a complicated kind of C++, and C++ in itself is already more complicated than Java. However you would also see some strange things if you ever wanted to code C/C++ for Android, using the NDK. But for the IDE itself, Carbide.c++ is built on the same Eclipse what you most likely use for Android.
    Note that for Nokia devices (at least for most of them), you can develop with Java, Java Micro Edition.
    For Symbian devices you can always check Qt, which is more resembling "normal" C++ than Symbian C++, and comes with a separate IDE.
    Generally it is hard to suggest anything concrete, since these are the only posts from you so far, and you seem to have registered just today. It is sure that learning Symbian C++ is not a 0-day adventure.
    Signing stuff is a matter of taste, but there are less malicious applications on Symbian, especially not in Nokia Store. Carbide.c++ (and also the QtCreator) signs the package automatically for a certain level of trust. And if you register at the Store, you can get higher level signature.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by garg_rish View Post
    I am using carbide C++ and it is not at all user friendly as compared to android. Nokia has so many formalities, first create the app then sign it, android is so simple.
    I am fed up
    App signing is not a problem because nokia publish will provide free signing for you if your app don't use higher capablities(search symbian capabilities).You should also use qt sdk(qt creator) instead of carbide c because it is much much easier.Just to open project in carbide also need to open many "bld.inf" in certain order while with qt sdk you just need to open the "pro" and this will load all the project files.Maybe you can add a "c++" later in your project if you need.And from personal experience,qt creator is more user friendly then the "ugly"carbide.If you also target harmattan,offline installer is recommende because online version got issue when compiling for harmattan and sorry for my weird english.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by babylongreece View Post
    Just to open project in carbide also need to open many "bld.inf" in certain order while with qt sdk you just need to open the "pro" and this will load all the project files.
    This can be easily covered in one bld.inf too..so thats really not an issue.