Discussion Board

Nokia's Map API for Java ME can run on other than nokia phone or only on Nokia phone

I am developing location based project. So I am thinking to use Nokia Map API. But If I use this API then my project can only run on Nokia phone to access that Map API or can run all phones.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Nokia's Map API for Java ME can run on other than nokia phone or only on Nokia ph

you should read the terms and conditions, and see what they say. You can start from: https://www.developer.nokia.com/Develop/Maps/TC.html

Regular Contributor

Re: Nokia's Map API for Java ME can run on other than nokia phone or only on Nokia ph

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul More View Post
    ... can only run on Nokia phone to access that Map API or can run all phones.
    The technical limitations of the API are such that is requires at least CLDC-1.1 and MIDP-2.0. In other words it should be able to run on any phone with a Java runtime, provided that phone supports floating point arithmetic. The CLDC-1.1 and MIDP-2.0. specifications are both very old, so it would mean that the market for your app could potentially include a very wide range of phones. The API has been designed to work on any Java ME devices, without making it specific to Nokia phones. Although the API is able to run on non-Nokia phones, some extensions/enhancements are aimed specifically at Nokia devices (such as use of the DirectUtils rendering to speed the display of map markers.) Obviously you couldn't use this if the target device didn't support it.

It is worth reading the terms and conditions to ensure that your application doesn't fall foul of any of the rules. There is nothing in the T&Cs stating the API can only be used on a Nokia device.