Discussion Board

Hybrid View

is a daemon really what i need?

Hi guys.

I have the following problem.
    I have an app that listens to key events. Works just fine when the app is in the foreground.
    But i now want to send the app to the background(which is no problem) but i want my app still listen to the keys.

Is this behavior even possible?

I found after some googleing that a daemon could fit for my needs but i am not sure if that is correct.
    I implemented a daemon a few years ago on linux in C so i should be able to do this.

So if i "convert" my app to a daemon would that just work?
    I am pretty sure that a daemon cannot have a ui, so i would need do seperate my ui which i now have and just capsulate the keylisten functionality to the daemon.

Does anybody know if i am on the correct way or am I just wasting my time with this?

I am trying to do this with wt 4.7.3 for S^3 devices. Do i need 4.7.4?

i would be very thankfull for every answer.

thx in advance

regards
    Alex

Super Contributor

Re: is a daemon really what i need?

This is certainly possible, unfortunately I don't have any "real" experience of how to do it or good examples. The problem may not be the code, but in getting it signed to run on the platform.

Essentially a daemon is just code that runs in the background doing some task - often UI-less. The task you'd need to do here would be watching for windows server events. I believe you can probably do this by creating a foreground window group, which would then get events first ahead of the running app. The other way this can be done is to create an anim DLL, which gets the events before anything else in the system - this is somewhat risky, because you then need to pass the events back into the system if you don't use them.

Thank you for your answer.
    I am glad that what i am trying to do is possible.

Could you provide any links or docu on how to create such a foreground window group. It sounds like this is exactly what i need.
    If i have understood you correctly this foreground window would get all the evetns from the system before any other app?

regards
    Alex

Hi.... ok i found this: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...nts_on_Symbian
    and i am pretty sure that it is the exact answer to my question...

Just need to create a daemon and implement the functions from the above links. Then react to the events and either bring my gui to foreground or whatever...

thx for the great hints!

regards