Discussion Board

Location in devices without GPS

good afternoon

Can someone explain to me how the Location API for devices without GPS like Nokia ASHA 200, how can I capture your location (latitude and longitude). And what better location provider.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: Location in devices without GPS

If you are using a series 40 device such as Asha 200, the phone will not include GPS, so you will usually need to use Cell ID-based location.

Rather than copying a coded example here, I'd suggest you look at the following wiki articles to get more of an idea what is necessary:

The most important difference between GPS and Cell-ID positioning is that with Cell-ID, only way to update the user's current location, is to call the getLocation() method within a repeating thread.

If you want to get the user's location on a map, this article should help: Using JSR-179 on a map, it also contains further links.
    It should be obvious from the commentary that the preferred mapping API in a location tracking scenario is the Maps API for Java , using a RESTful service here leads to a slower screen update, requires more data traffic and is wasteful of bandwidth

good afternoon

Thanks for the reply, I read the articles, but when trying to implement the example of article one could normally run on the emulator, however when running the ASHA 200 mobile application could not access the network, this is a problem I've been experiencing in other applications try to access the internet, is there any procedure to solve this problem?

Just using the method "Online cell ID and / or WLAN" asked to authorize the application to access the network, but even allowing for the application is not accessed, other methods generate NullPointerException.

thanks
    Last edited by Lianker; 2012-12-21 at 19:22.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Lianker View Post
    could normally run on the emulator, however when running the ASHA 200 mobile application could not access the network
    Cell ID positioning requires network access. The basic idea here is that the device is currently near/covered by one or more cells which have a unique ID. The device sends the ID(s) to a webservice to find the location of the Cells, and by a simple process of triangulation (based on the strength of the signal) reduces this down to a location.

I suggest you check that you have requested appropriate permissions in the JAD file:
    Code:
    MIDlet-Permissions: javax.microedition.io.connector.http
    It would also help to sign the MIDlet. see here

Quote Originally Posted by Lianker View Post
    Just using the method "Online cell ID and / or WLAN" asked to authorize the application to access the network, but even allowing for the application is not accessed, other methods generate NullPointerException.
    The location API will return a null if the LocationProvider is unsupported. You will need to check for this and add an appropriate error message.
    According to the specs here the Asha 200 does support JSR-179, so it must be possible to obtain a location somehow.

Further help can be obtained from the Developer's Guide

good morning

the internet connection needed only to be set to another chip, because the other had no access. Thank you for the links were useful estremamente

good afternoon

The example works as expected, was wondering if there is any way to increase accuracy, I saw some alternatives like OpenCellID etc. but I could not access the site at all. If I can help I am grateful.