Discussion Board

Hybrid View

video out support, launching local html files

I'm working with WP8 on a 920 and I'm interested in adding support for video out and launching local html files with IE.

1. For video out, basically I want to send a video signal of the phone's display out the micro-USB port. With a micro-USB to VGA adapter plugged in and connected via VGA cable to a large monitor or projector, I 'd like to have a large display for the phone.

From what I've looked at there doesn't seem to be native support for this so I guess some sort of background app would be needed. I've spent some time digging through the WP API but without success. Any pointers would be appreciated.

2. For launching html files (this is what (1) is for :-), I'm not sure if this is just some special path syntax that I can store in a link or if I need to call the API.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: video out support, launching local html files

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzan View Post
    1. For video out, basically I want to send a video signal of the phone's display out the micro-USB port. With a micro-USB to VGA adapter plugged in and connected via VGA cable to a large monitor or projector, I 'd like to have a large display for the phone.
    This is not possible. And there is no way, as far as I know, to make it work with the current API or hardware.

2. For launching html files (this is what (1) is for :-), I'm not sure if this is just some special path syntax that I can store in a link or if I need to call the API.
    Is this a local html file that you have stored on the Isolated Storage or an internet Address?

It its a web address you can use something like this:

Code:
    WebBrowserTask web = new WebBrowserTask();
    web.URL = "http://www.nokia.com";
    web.Show();
    If you are looking to open an HTML file on the browser control pleced on a page in your app, then you can use something like:

Code:
    browser.Navigate(new Uri("www/index.html", UriKind.Relative));
    This assumes that you have your html file on your Isolated Storage.
    Last edited by joaocardoso; 2012-12-27 at 18:04.

Nokia Developer Champion

I'm working with WP8 on a 920 and I'm interested in adding support for video out and launching local html files with IE.

From what I've looked at there doesn't seem to be native support for this so I guess some sort of background app would be needed. I've spent some time digging through the WP API but without success. Any pointers would be appreciated.

1/For USB video out it is not possible with the current APIs (The "demo" devices that have this functionality have that built in natively in the ROM , which is not accessible for third-party devs)
    2/As Joao stated you can launch is directly via the webbrowser control or the WebBrowserTask if they're stored remotely,But you can also associate the extension .html to your app with the new WP8 APIs so you can open any .html (stored on a sdcard or skydrive) by your app :
    Eg:
    Code:
    <SupportedFileTypes>
     <FileType ContentType="application/html">.html</FileType>
    </SupportedFileTypes>
    For more details please take a look at http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...indows_Phone_8 in the File Association section

Hope this helps,
    Charaf

Thank you very much for your replies. It is disappointing to hear video out to USB is simply not possible. Is it realistic to hope that an API update alone in the not too distance future might support this, or is this necessarily just as much a hardware issue?

Perhaps even better would be to develop a wireless solution. MirrorOp has their sender/receiver apps, e.g.:

http://www.mirrorop.com/product_Android_Sender.html

And Epson has their iProjection app (though only for their projectors):

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...rojectorApp.do

What I'm trying to develop is something that can work with a wireless adaptor like this one:

http://www.infocus.com/accessories/w...s-liteshow-iii

to use a 920 for presentations (initially and as a backup I saw video out to USB as a simpler first step). I mean you have to wonder, why bother shipping Windows Phone with PowerPoint if you can't actually make a presentation with it.

On my second question, sorry, I was unclear. All I was simply talking about was having IE on WP be able to open an html file in the phone's Document folder (i.e. 'local' to the phone, no Internet required). I haven't been able to come up with a URL that will do it from IE's location field yet alone programmatically. How would you do this?

Nokia Developer Champion

to use a 920 for presentations (initially and as a backup I saw video out to USB as a simpler first step). I mean you have to wonder, why bother shipping Windows Phone with PowerPoint if you can't actually make a presentation with it.
    You don't necessarily need USB-Video out to do this, you can do that using sockets, you'll have to create a small server app for PC, and connect to it from your Windows Phone app so that you can control powerpoint presentations from your phone,there is plenty of apps doing that on the marketplace