Discussion Board

Bridge between symbian and Java Me

Hi, i m doing a project named Mobile Tracker and the technology used is Java Me. i want to retrieve IMEI number of my Emulator but it is not possible in Java Me but in Symbian.
    Is there any way dat how can i bridge between Symbian and JAVA ME n make it possible to run that code in Java me?

I need help urgently..... so i request you to please respond ASAP.

Thanks.
    Vinita!!!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Bridge between symbian and Java Me

I would suggest doing some searching in our wiki. Here's one article to get you started: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu..._ME_on_Symbian

Thank you sir... @symbianyucca
    i have goggled a lot and found only one specific code to retrieve IMEI number i.e. System.getProperty("phone.imei")
    which works in symbuan... so can i develop an application in symbian using dat particular code and call it in java ME?
    by using method platformRequest(path) ... whr path is a path of an application(symbian)

Nokia Developer Moderator

Sure, if you don't want to do any Symbian parts, and only require IMEI, anyway, we have wiki page for this issue as well: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...MSI_in_Java_ME

just bcoz i cannot find IMEI number in JAVA ME i hav to go with symbian ...... and then call dat app in java Me
    Thank you Sir for Ur guidance....

Nokia Developer Champion

The System property "com.nokia.mid.imei" requires the Midlet in J2me to be must signed to manufacturer or operator domain; otherwise this value is NULL..... so you may not able to get IMEI in J2me....on your device.

Let us know, whats the purpose of IMEI in your app.... if its just a UID - you can try to get BT address for the same if the target device has JSR 82
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Hi amitabh sir, my project is of Mobile Tracker in which whenevr a theif will remove my orginal sim card n wen new sim card will be inserted, it will try to match the IMEI number of new sim card( to that in the persisitant memory of the phone(of old sim card). IF matched not an issue but if not it will send a message including the new IMEI number to the trusted contacts...
    Last edited by angelvini210; 2013-01-02 at 12:16.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by angelvini210 View Post
    Hi amitabh sir, my project is of Mobile Tracker in which whenevr a theif will remove my orginal sim card n wen new sim card will be inserted, it will try to match the IMEI number of new sim card( to that in the persisitant memory of the phone(of old sim card). IF matched not an issue but if not it will send a message including the new IMEI number to the trusted contacts...
    IMEI no is specific to a device not to a SIM card.... You need to capture SIM card change notification on the device - and send IMEI number of the device as SMS to old registered phone numbers... with this SMS the person will get to know who is using his phone..... by his cell no in the SMS message.... even if its w/o IMEI
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh

As i am sending the IMEI no in the SMS , how can i know abt the person who is using it? The idea is not clear for me still havng query how can it be done ?
    Is it that It can be also done without IMEI no.?

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by angelvini210 View Post
    As i am sending the IMEI no in the SMS , how can i know abt the person who is using it? The idea is not clear for me still havng query how can it be done ?
    Is it that It can be also done without IMEI no.?
    Your application is installed on the phone and not on the SIM card, if you make your app auto-launch - and it checks for SIM change (you may write something on SIMcard may be in the SIM contacts using JSR 75 PIM), if the SIM is changed on the phone - you send out SMS to pre-defined/password protected numbers stored inside RMS of your cell tracker app from the phone - it will use the new SIM card and the receiver of the SMS will get to know the Cell# of the person who is now using this stolen phone.... take help of local Police & service provider to track him - its also possible to even capture CBS message or / GPS coordinates of the phone and pass in that SMS.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh

Okay....
    I am using GPS to track the cell phone location

Thnks for the guidance Sir!!!

Sir.... i have tried a lot but as i dont hav any idea about how to code or execute symbian apps i m really not gettting how to start with
    I had installed S60-SDK-0548-3.0-f.3.215f for symbian.... but not getting xactly where to code or tu run the existing application.
    wat kind of executable file is needed to run a symbian app?

thanks
    vinita!!!