Discussion Board

HOW TO GET LOCATION FROM MY FRIENDS GPS

Hi, My project is finding friends and locating them .. Basically in this project i need to get location from my friends GPS in order to track him/her and have a mechanism for sending that(frinds location) information into my device , i am not getting of how to start with or what are my requirements for achieving this

plzz help me ASAP with the idea... about how to start...

THANKS
    SWATI !!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: HOW TO GET LOCATION FROM MY FRIENDS GPS

Quote Originally Posted by swatik View Post
    Hi, My project is finding friends and locating them .. Basically in this project i need to get location from my friends GPS in order to track him/her and have a mechanism for sending that(frinds location) information into my device , i am not getting of how to start with or what are my requirements for achieving this

plzz help me ASAP with the idea... about how to start...

THANKS
    SWATI !!
    In this project, you need to setup a small server on which all the friends/users need to register with their id/cell# and keep on updating their current location lat/long which is captured by GPS on their devices using JSR 179 - location listener, this information should be available to all the other friends (pre-accepted as friends) to whom this user wants to share his location with.

Flow can be:

People are free to download this app from any app store, on first launch register with their cell# and id and keep on updating their GPS co-ordinates on the server.

- The app should show - Friends List - with Track button on each friend - which can display - map with friends location marked on it.

- The app will option to Add friends - by giving id or cell#, request will be generated and stored on the server for approvals.

- The app should have in-coming add request - inBox, which will show all pending add-request for this user - where he can approve/ reject - its status will be updated on the server - reflected on other users friend list screen.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

thankyou sir i got your point .. but i am not getting one thing about where should and how should i make/design the server i am new to J2me and this is my first proj so if i get ur guidance ill be very thankfull to you

thanks,
    SWATI

Quote Originally Posted by im2amit View Post
    In this project, you need to setup a small server on which all the friends/users need to register with their id/cell# and keep on updating their current location lat/long which is captured by GPS on their devices using JSR 179 - location listener, this information should be available to all the other friends (pre-accepted as friends) to whom this user wants to share his location with.

Flow can be:

People are free to download this app from any app store, on first launch register with their cell# and id and keep on updating their GPS co-ordinates on the server.

- The app should show - Friends List - with Track button on each friend - which can display - map with friends location marked on it.

- The app will option to Add friends - by giving id or cell#, request will be generated and stored on the server for approvals.

- The app should have in-coming add request - inBox, which will show all pending add-request for this user - where he can approve/ reject - its status will be updated on the server - reflected on other users friend list screen.

Is it like we have to use Google App Engine to set up a free server.....?

Nokia Developer Moderator

You do not have to use any particular service, but yes, you need a server.
    The intermediating server is needed because the devices are not good at exchanging data directly. The exception is SMS (this small amount of data can be easily packed into an SMS), but that would be a bit expensive.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by angelvini210 View Post
    Is it like we have to use Google App Engine to set up a free server.....?
    GAE - Google App Engine will be the correct choice for such a project, where you can maintain a small table of registered users with their locations and list of friend ids.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh

sir, is it better to use GoogleCloudSQL that is co-located with GAE , because The App Engine datastore is schemaless. and only allows us to create entities that is records ..

Nokia Developer Champion

GoogleCloudSQL looks good for your needs.. use it.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh

Nokia Developer Moderator

Your plans really matter. If you mean you have 10-20 friends who want to share their location with each other, GAE seem to support that for completely free. This kind of use does not really need a real database backend.
    However if you want to provide it as a service, perhaps a paid one, it may be better to go with the SQL stuff from the very beginning. But it has a free trial for a couple months only.