Discussion Board

Lumia 920 - OIS API?

hi,

is there any special api for the ois on the 920? or maybe for the whole 920 cameramodule?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Lumia 920 - OIS API?

My bet goes for 'no'. Windows Phone is not famous for exposing hardware-related API-s in general.

Quote Originally Posted by shizzl View Post
    hi,

is there any special api for the ois on the 920? or maybe for the whole 920 cameramodule?
    What are you trying to accomplish? To get a visual information to the user on the level of shake for example? If thats the case then I would suggest to use the phone sensors for that. A good example of that feature is the Picture Labs app that has a Camera Lens that integrates with WP8 camera app and when you use it it shows you a graph with the level of movement its detecting.

There is no specific API that i'm aware of that allows you to interact with the image stabilization data directly. Its in fact a Lumia 920 specific feature, that is based on hardware implementation, and its probably completely transparent to WP OS.

coming from symbian i was really surprised how restricted WP8 is.

Almost none of my ideas are feasable..

You cant even change system settings? WTF

Btw, is there a place where we can suggest or request nokia apps?

coming from symbian i was really surprised how restricted WP8 is.
    It is a different system and it does have some restrictions. One of the reasons I believe due to the fact that its the 2nd major version of the OS. Another is to keep the system secure and fluid, something that we can safely say has been accomplished. I believe that as time goes on the OS will be more open to much more customization. Now that C++ is supported I'm looking forward for the next iterations. Not only that but the Kernel is now based on Windows 8 and that means that in theory you will be able to have a feature set that gets closer to the desktop/tablet eventually.

About this particular feature that you want, I'm not sure that even if the system was completely open you would have much luck. From what I understood the Stabilization on the 920 camera comes incorporated into the camera as a set of springs that compensates for the movement. Its not like that tiny camera has a sensor and a set of motors that would compensate for the movement in the same way that, for example, Sony implements on their D-SLR's. Its a really tiny space to squeeze something like that. What this means is that there is no way to get the data you want onther than using the motion sensors. And for that you do have an API.

Btw, is there a place where we can suggest or request nokia apps?
    Not sure about Nokia Apps but for Windows Phone you can use their user voice website here: http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/fo...re-suggestions