Discussion Board

Unhappy APS doesn't work on Symbian Belle FP1

Hi,

I try to port my existing project (developed based on S60 3rd FP2 ) to the latest Symbian Belle FP1. Then I find some functions are not working in Symbian Belle. Not sure if Nokia has block these for security reason or why, e.g. AT command doesn't work at all. I tried to search in this forum but I don't find any useful information.

One of my biggest issue now is that APS (audio proxy server) doesn't work on Symbian Belle anymore. I can install the APS example program on Nokia 700, it seems working, no crash no error, but it just cannot play audio uplink into a ongoing call !! If there is no error... how am I suppose to debug? It feels Nokia has blocked this function from the lower layer, but I am not sure.

Is there absolutely no solution in Symbian Belle to achieve playing audio uplink to a ongoing call???

Regards,
    Jing

Regular Contributor

Re: APS doesn't work on Symbian Belle FP1

Please see my question first. I know how does APS work and my project works well on S60 3rd FP1 and FP2.

But strange thing happens on Belle platform.

Quote Originally Posted by babylongreece View Post

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by r60600 View Post
    I wonder which part you mean. Access Point Engine is a different sequence of characters than Audio Proxy Server.

Otherwise true, APS is said to be deprecated since S60 3rd FP2, so problems on 3-4 OS releases later are not completely unexpected. Is the server part present on the device? Have you installed any APS package on the device? Does it really install anything on a Belle device?
    There are many other newer API-s, Audio Routing, VoIP Audio Services, Call Audio Control, but they may not support playing sound to the uplink of a normal phone call.

Nokia Developer Champion

I tried installing the APSServer V2.43 on BelleFP2, it got installed without any issues. Then tried running a sample APS example, it also ran nicely with input/output streamers being initialized without any error. But when i pressed the menu option start streaming(full duplex audio, means you speak into mic & the same would be heard on earphone/speaker), nothing happened.Simply nothing was heard & if i remember correctly this used to work without any issues till S60 5th edition as i had tested. May be some more investigation is required & then it starts working.

Hi wizard_hu_,

I mean Audio Proxy Server. I can install the APSServer V2.43 on my Nokia 700 (Symbian Belle FP2, firmware 113.010.1506). I am sure the APSServer is running. With a process tool's help, I am able to see that the APSServer process is there running.

Then I run the my test program. Everything looks fine, no error no crash. But it just cannot play audio uplink in a phone call. This test program is modified based on APS example program and it can run on Symbian S60 3rd FP1&2 successfully.

I tried to run the VoIP Audio Services example program on Nokia 700 also. Doesn't work. Always get error -14 while I tried to play audio uplink. I guess this API doesn't support play audio uplink in a call.

I am just wondering if Nokia has blocked APS features in the latest platform for security reason. Otherwise I can't explain why APSServer can be installed, and there is no error, but it just won't play.

Regards,
    Jing

You have very similar experience as mine.

The APSServer V2.43 can be installed, and there is no error with input/output streamer being initialized. But when I try to play audio uplink in a call, I just cannot hear the audio in my call. But again, no error from the program.

Since I was using my test program, I will test the APS example program and see if I get the exact result as you do.

I really want to further investigate this, but I don't know how... I also hope it just requires some small changes and then it starts working.

Quote Originally Posted by vineet.jain View Post
    I tried installing the APSServer V2.43 on BelleFP2, it got installed without any issues. Then tried running a sample APS example, it also ran nicely with input/output streamers being initialized without any error. But when i pressed the menu option start streaming(full duplex audio, means you speak into mic & the same would be heard on earphone/speaker), nothing happened.Simply nothing was heard & if i remember correctly this used to work without any issues till S60 5th edition as i had tested. May be some more investigation is required & then it starts working.
    Last edited by jing.johansson; 2013-01-17 at 12:02.

Direct blocking is unlikely, however it can easily happen that the mechanisms which APS would use are not the same. Then it depends on the server's internals if it reports any errors to you or not.
    Anyway, in the ex-open source Symbian^3 code (project symbiandump on SourceForge, .hg is for Mercurial version control, you can use the files with its 'clone' command, and there is TortoiseHg if you happen to be familiar with other Tortoise tools),
    sf-mw-mmmw seems to be the package containing this kind of API-s. APS is not there, but you can still find things to experiment with.
    (some perhaps-related things in mmfenh folder:
    advancedaudiocontroller
    audiooutputcontrolutility
    enhancedaudioplayerutility
    enhancedmediaclient

and in mmmw_plat folder:
    audio_output_control_utility_api
    audio_output_control_utility_proxy_api
    call_audio_control_api
    enhanced_media_client_api
    telephony_multimedia_service_api
    voip_audio_services_api)

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not familiar with Tortoise tools but I will give it a try when I have time.

What will be the purpose to dig through the source code? I guess you mean I can read through the code and may find some other functions that support play audio uplink in a call?

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Direct blocking is unlikely, however it can easily happen that the mechanisms which APS would use are not the same. Then it depends on the server's internals if it reports any errors to you or not.
    Anyway, in the ex-open source Symbian^3 code (project symbiandump on SourceForge, .hg is for Mercurial version control, you can use the files with its 'clone' command, and there is TortoiseHg if you happen to be familiar with other Tortoise tools),
    sf-mw-mmmw seems to be the package containing this kind of API-s. APS is not there, but you can still find things to experiment with.
    (some perhaps-related things in mmfenh folder:
    advancedaudiocontroller
    audiooutputcontrolutility
    enhancedaudioplayerutility
    enhancedmediaclient

and in mmmw_plat folder:
    audio_output_control_utility_api
    audio_output_control_utility_proxy_api
    call_audio_control_api
    enhanced_media_client_api
    telephony_multimedia_service_api
    voip_audio_services_api)

You can get the simple, command-line Mercurial from http://mercurial.selenic.com/, and use the clone command. In the simplest form you "clone" into the current folder, but in this case the .hg file has to be somewhere else.
    Like hg clone <somewhere else>\oss+FCL+sf+mw+mmmw.hg
    However now as I checked the filename it also turns out that this package is 316 megabytes large, so it is comparable with the complete src_oss_mw.zip in size (that is 888 megabytes).
    Yes, the idea is to check the various API-s (mainly the header files), and look for constants, methods related to "uplink" for example.