Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XMPP Client Lib

Regular Contributor

XMPP Client Lib

Hello all,

I am developing chat application for J2ME. The server is openfire. For android it has client xmpp lib for android is smack. I've been searching for lib, i just got JAX. and it finish developed in 2008 and not continue anymore. So my question is What is the stable and godd xmpp client lib for J2ME??.

Best Regards,
    Iqbal
    Last edited by muhamad.iqbal; 2013-01-18 at 00:01.

Regular Contributor

Re: XMPP Client Lib

Anyone can help me the information...?

Nokia Developer Moderator

While there is a new XMPP specification from 2011, the basics have not changed. If you find a working library from 2008, that will most likely work with Openfire.
    (Google Talk is based on XMPP, that is why there is a built-in library in Android, but that is a rather special case)

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    While there is a new XMPP specification from 2011, the basics have not changed. If you find a working library from 2008, that will most likely work with Openfire.
    (Google Talk is based on XMPP, that is why there is a built-in library in Android, but that is a rather special case)
    Thank you wizard_hu for the reply. So for the xmpp client lib for J2ME, just JXA??. I already check that, and there is new update for 2011-01-17. It's 2 years ago.GTalk used XMPP, but i think it is used smack, because the OpenFire provide the lib xmpp client for android.

I do not know the library, but since there are not too many others, I would definitely give it a try. Setting up a local Openfire server is not complicated and then you will see what happens/does not happen on both the server and client sides.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by muhamad.iqbal View Post
    Anyone can help me the information...?
    For the Java based platforms I have used the E-jabbered library for this and found quite robust. Being written a long time ago this is a quite helpful and used by the good IM services providers like Facebook. Just have a look on the XMPP website and there you can find the links for the same,

Do revert if you face any problems in that.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by raj_J2ME View Post
    For the Java based platforms I have used the E-jabbered library for this and found quite robust. Being written a long time ago this is a quite helpful and used by the good IM services providers like Facebook. Just have a look on the XMPP website and there you can find the links for the same,

Do revert if you face any problems in that.
    raj, thank you for the reply. What do you mean with E-jabbered..?? the xmpp library for J2ME...??

Quote Originally Posted by muhamad.iqbal View Post
    raj, thank you for the reply. What do you mean with E-jabbered..?? the xmpp library for J2ME...??
    Maybe ejabberd is an XMPP application server, written mainly in the Erlang programming language. It can run under several Unix-like operating systems such as Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD and OpenSolaris. Additionally, ejabberd can run under Microsoft Windows, however, a user must stay logged in or always restart the ejabberd service remotely after any logout from the machine.[3] ejabberd stands for Erlang Jabber Daemon (Jabber being a former name for XMPP), and is written in lowercase only, as is common for daemon software.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tank0412 View Post
    Maybe ejabberd is an XMPP application server, written mainly in the Erlang programming language. It can run under several Unix-like operating systems such as Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD and OpenSolaris. Additionally, ejabberd can run under Microsoft Windows, however, a user must stay logged in or always restart the ejabberd service remotely after any logout from the machine.[3] ejabberd stands for Erlang Jabber Daemon (Jabber being a former name for XMPP), and is written in lowercase only, as is common for daemon software.
    tank0412, thank you for the reply. This is my old thread , i very glad still any body reply to this thread. I already undesrtand about e-jabbered. That is the application server that couple with erlang languange. Unfortunately for my development i used the standard xmpp, Not used any library like smack or others. But i got an idea, How about if we make xmpp library for j2me as an nokia open source project..?.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi,
    I have a similar question so thought to put it here.
    I am trying XMPP on Windows Phone so downloaded this http://xmedianet.codeplex.com/discussions/432801
    It works fine with Jabber ID, but getting "Authentication Failed" while using Facebook ID.

Any idea on this please.

Quote Originally Posted by somnathbanik View Post
    Hi,
    I have a similar question so thought to put it here.
    I am trying XMPP on Windows Phone so downloaded this http://xmedianet.codeplex.com/discussions/432801
    It works fine with Jabber ID, but getting "Authentication Failed" while using Facebook ID.

Any idea on this please.
    I am not sure if I can follow you. Where are you trying to log-in and why should it work with Facebook ID?

Nokia Developer Champion

I am not sure if I can follow you. Where are you trying to log-in and why should it work with Facebook ID?
    Hi Guys,

I got the solution. Need to make some small changes in the code to make it work with DIGEST-MD5. And also added code for X-FACEBOOK-PLATFORM which was not there in the library.

Just want to know if I can share the code in wiki as this is not completely created by me.

Nokia Developer Champion

This is an XMPP lib, which should work for all Jabber ID,like GTalk, Facebook, etc. I made some changes in the code to make it work with Facebook ID now.
    Last edited by somnathbanik; 2013-06-09 at 13:45. Reason: added

Ok, the thing which was not clear to me is that Facebook Chat uses XMPP. I was just thinking you were trying to log into some arbitrary XMPP server with Facebook ID, and I could not really imagine why would that be possible.

Regular Contributor

yes.. facebook use XMPP as messaging protocol and user erlang as the server language.