Discussion Board

STL file for 3D printed Lumia 920 case?

I just saw that Nokia posted a STL file for the 820, and I want to say thank you for such a bold move! Currently im in development of designer 3D printed cases for the (don't kill me!) HTC 8X. I got the 8X since I am with Tmobile and it was the only high end option for me, so its what I have. It took me WEEKS to model the phone into 3D so I can start making cases for it, but the results are rather nice.

Now that the 820 STL file was released, I plan on offering the same thing for the 820, but I also want to offer it for the 920. I currently have a display "dummy" phone on order, but having the STL file will save me WEEKS and a lot of money. Im a garage developer and don't have a budget for a 3D scanner or a lot of prototypes.

You can see all my case designs at http://www.gibbageart.com/case/htc-8x-custom-case/ and I plan to offer them at www.shapeways.com or other 3D printers.

Regular Contributor

Re: STL file for 3D printed Lumia 920 case?

Very nice work! I look forward to seeing what you could do for a Lumia 820.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi there! We are looking into releasing a 920 3DK as well, but haven't done it yet. Stay tuned!

This is the best news yet! I had already sourced a company to 3D scan in a Nokia 920 for me, but this will save me considerable time and money!!!! Please keep us updated, and if it does not work out for some legal reasons or what-not, please let us know so I can move forward with the 3D scanning. I really want to support this amazing phone, but the shape does not make it easy without something like the 820 model files.

Has there been any movement on releasing the 920 STL file? Recently I sent a dummy 920 phone (fake display model) in to be 3D scanned, and it was NOT the same shape as a real 920. I cant afford to buy a real 920 and have it scanned, so I am really hoping Nokia releases the STL file soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sirkneeland View Post
    Hi there! We are looking into releasing a 920 3DK as well, but haven't done it yet. Stay tuned!
    I'm really excited for this! How difficult is it to create your own designed cases? I have graphics experience. Do we need programs and certain hardware for just designing?

Quote Originally Posted by sirkneeland View Post
    Please oh please release the 3DK for the 920. I'm really excited to get printing a case for my 920.

Regular Contributor

Has the 3DK for the 920 already been release?
    Does Nokia offer similar design specs like Apple (https://developer.apple.com/resources/cases/) who offer detailed information so that custom cases are much easier to design?