Discussion Board

Question For testing GPS based J2ME app, Is there any emulator which have in build GPS??

I am developing GPS based app using Nokia maps for series 40 mobiles. I want such emulator which provide GPS(to retrieve & set current coordinates & many other purposes). I search a lot on google but I didn't found such emulator.... even what ever emulators provide by Nokia SDKs; they also don't have GPS capability... Then how should I get such emulator??

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: For testing GPS based J2ME app, Is there any emulator which have in build GPS??

While I do not know the case of Series 40, later S60 and Symbian emulators provide some support for emulated GPS.
    The release notes of Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java says "The SDK doesn't provide simulation for getTimestamp, getSpeed, getCourse, getLocationMethod,
    getAddressInfo, getExtraInfo methods of JSR-179" - so the other methods may have a simulation setting somewhere.
    Also note the RDA service (Devices above, Remote Device Access), there you can test your code on real devices - though they will not move for obvious reasons.

Re: For testing GPS based J2ME app, Is there any emulator which have in build GPS??

Sir, I got Nokia S40 6th edition SDK... that SDK provide 6260 slide emulator. According device specification,6260 phone have GPS.... but its that SDK provide GPS in emulator???

Nokia Developer Champion

Try WTK emulator from Java Me SDK 3.0 from SUN/Oracle

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...sdk/index.html

If Location works on this.... then you can customize the emulator to match your device specs.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Quote Originally Posted by im2amit View Post
    Try WTK emulator from Java Me SDK 3.0 from SUN/Oracle

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...sdk/index.html

If Location works on this.... then you can customize the emulator to match your device specs.
    Sir, I already have sun/oracle emulator of version 3.0.5. When I run my app with this emulator to retrieve my current coordinates... it gives me coordinates of 61.4858352, 23.7623012 & when I checked it, it is coordinates of Finland, Tempere.... but it doesn't give my current place coordinates.... That means whatever coordinates it provide its already set in that mobile or it have actual GPS which provide me that???

Nokia Developer Moderator

That is why the documentation is invented.
    Here is what I have done just now: clicked on the link, http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...sdk/index.html
    Looked at the page, found "Please also refer to Release Notes and Developer's Guide." just below the download links.
    Clicked on "Developer's Guide". Found "22 JSR 179: Location API Support." and especially "22.1 Setting the Emulator's Location at Runtime"
    Clicked on it. Now I know how to do it, while 5 minutes ago I had no idea about the existence of Java ME SDK 3.2. By the way, 3.0.5 may be different.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul More View Post
    Sir, I already have sun/oracle emulator of version 3.0.5. When I run my app with this emulator to retrieve my current coordinates... it gives me coordinates of 61.4858352, 23.7623012 & when I checked it, it is coordinates of Finland, Tempere.... but it doesn't give my current place coordinates.... That means whatever coordinates it provide its already set in that mobile or it have actual GPS which provide me that???
    The emulator does not have GPS chip in it to retrieve and give you current location, it is defined in the emulator settings file, as Wizard wrote - read the documentation - you will get the ways to set this in run-time for your all.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Super Contributor

@Rahul More, To add : Most of the new Series 40 SDK's does have "Route Editor" ([Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java ] Emulator Menu > Tools > Route Editor ) - Which helps to emulate Location Based functionalities in the Emulator (Remember again - you cannot get your actual location via Emulator)

Regards
    Gopal

FYI, actually is Tools - Location Simulation
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24709506/Loc...simulation.jpg

Super Contributor

@Adi.Stoicuta, Interesting, for me its still shows Route Editor ! May be its a different version of Nokia SDK 2.0.
    NokiaSDK20.png

Regards
    Gopal

Super Contributor

Okei. My version is Beta. Seems they changed it in the Final version.

Regards
    Gopal