Discussion Board

Red face Cellid Information for my own mobile

Hi ,

I am Studying Btech final year in Information Technology Department so i am trying for doing a major project on Nokia Location Based Service for My E5-00 Mobile !

Actually i wanted the cell id Information Except following methods ( SMS , Call , Web )

Is there any more new way for getting my own mobile cell id info via wireless network !

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Cellid Information for my own mobile

You should give loads more information on what it is excatly that you would want to do and how. Currently its not clear at all.

Super Contributor

I hope this article could help you ?
    Getting Cell ID in Java ME : http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu..._ID_in_Java_ME

Regards
    Gopal

Super Contributor

Note that knowing the cell ID which the phone happens to be connected to at the time is not enough to determine the location, if you don't know the coordinates of the cell tower (and for more accuracy which direction/sector the antenna covers, and the signal strength and timing information to determine rough distance from the cell tower, too).

Network operators rarely, if ever, publish location or other details of their cell towers, so the information is hard to get by, or availability is limited. Some "crowdsourced" info here: http://opencellid.org/

I would wait the original poster to tell what the actual use case is, for it it sounded like some requirements on getting the Cell id from outside the device, which would generally be impossible without additional software installed to the device.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Network operators rarely, if ever, publish location or other details of their cell towers, so the information is hard to get by, or availability is limited. http://opencellid.org/
    Sorry to hijack into this thread - but @Petrib, if you can share some thoughts on how an Operator can help here, in my current job - I can try to initiate the same .

Regards
    Gopal

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by balagopalks View Post
    Sorry to hijack into this thread - but @Petrib, if you can share some thoughts on how an Operator can help here, in my current job - I can try to initiate the same .
    A network operator knows perfectly well the location coordinates of each and every one of their basestations, and they also know all other relevant details for as accurate positioning of a phone as can be done based on mobile network data. The operator can, if they want to, give anyone access to the data, but what their incentive would be, I don't know. I.e., they're likely not to divulge such details to any outsiders.

The network operators might - and probably do - have systems where you don't need to get the data at all, but they can provide the location (GPS) coordinates. In the past, some ten years ago, or so, operators offered the info for a fee for service developers (or they developed location based services utilizing such data themselves). Nowadays, with GPS and services like Google or Nokia Maps which crowdsource the data for themselves complementing GPS and WLAN data they collect, I'm not sure how interested operators are any more for offering purely mobile network based location services for anyone (except for their own use, or when required for emergency services, or other governmental access).

In any case, normal operator customer support is not likely able to assist with inquiries of this nature. You may have to contact some corporate/business services department, or go all the way to a CTO or such.

Super Contributor

Thank you Petrib, I moved to Vodafone Group some time back and I am tasked to look into - how to help Developers. May be we should catch up offline and discuss this.

Regards
    Gopal

Thank you very much for all replay's

Actually there is some Security Hole ... !

For Example Nokia Providing Deafult anti theft application ( F - Secure ) This cannot terminate with a valid password but i am killing this process by using some other @ so how it will be usefull for finding lossed mobile !

So thats way i am asking for I have to Get a Mobile Cellid Wirelessly with out using any software based on Mobile user Permission is dis possible ??

Basically, you would need to contact mobile operators for getting the location of the mobile then. If you require location without any user interaction in any parts then you can not do it from the mobile side