Discussion Board

Java calling symbian os api

As what i know, only C++ API are available for Symbian os 6.1. I want to develop application for Symbian OS based phone such as 7650 and 3650 using java. is there any api that i can use? I need to use java. thanks.

Nokia Developer Moderator
    Hi

AFAIK only Java you can use in series 60 is MIDP.

yucca

I know that. I use midp 1.0 for series 60. My problem is, it didn't allow me to trigger some low level function such as trigger the phne call function base on a given phone number, send out a sms, etc..
    Or, is there any api that can be called by midp. can midp integrate with the given C++ api?

Super Contributor
    Currently, it is not possible. J2ME is provided as an "sandbox", and it was not specially designed for Symbian OS platform. The strong point of J2ME is that design once, runs everywhere.

For your information, Personal Java can support JNI together with a lot of APIs of your interests (telelphony APIs, PIM, messaging etc). However, it is not currently supported on 7650/3650.

Liuxg
    Forum Nokia

Nokia Developer Moderator
    Hi Liuxg

I remember that somebody made a speach in june/2000 in nokia show singapore that the Symbian V7.0 will handle Java a lot faster than V6.X. There was a point that it's only gonna be somewhere about 2 times slower that C++ to execute.

So I was just wondering that are there going to be Personal Java for 6600, since it would maybe be feasible language to use with it already ?

yucca

Super Contributor
    Hi Yucca,

According to the spec found at the following site;

http://www.symbian.com/technology/symbos-phones.html

6600 phone will not support Personal Java. It supports J2ME MIDP 2.0. 6600 is based on Symbian v7.0s.

Yes, I aggree with you that Personal Java is a powerful tool, and I once saw it running on a P800 phone. It was truly amazing in terms of performance.

Liuxg
    Forum Nokia