Discussion Board

Unhappy Sending Silent SMS via j2me using WTK

I want to send SMS silently without notifying user about messages being sent .. Although I shall show something else to make him/her wait for that but all I want to do is to get rid of this alert of "Sending Text Message" and "Text Message sent". I know some of people claimed they were able to send silent SMS, I don't know what do they mean by that or I tried to contact them but didn't get any answer. So if any of you know about it please let me know. It's very important for me to add this functionality in my app. Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Sending Silent SMS via j2me using WTK

As far as I know, it can't be done programmatically with J2ME on Nokia phones and using published APIs. With a signed app, depending on the phone/case, you might possibly be able to manually configure a user application setting to bypass the prompts, or to warn only once, but I've never needed to try such a thing, so I'm not sure in which conditions even that might be possible.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by saqibatiq View Post
    I want to send SMS silently without notifying user about messages being sent .. Although I shall show something else to make him/her wait for that but all I want to do is to get rid of this alert of "Sending Text Message" and "Text Message sent". I know some of people claimed they were able to send silent SMS, I don't know what do they mean by that or I tried to contact them but didn't get any answer. So if any of you know about it please let me know. It's very important for me to add this functionality in my app. Thanks
    The only other option will be to do it using Symbian/C++ and call the method from from your J2me app but this will work only on s60 devices.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Quote Originally Posted by im2amit View Post
    The only other option will be to do it using Symbian/C++ and call the method from from your J2me app but this will work only on s60 devices.
    Well, thats a good thing to do but what actually I can't now. I have almost finalized app and so I can't shift over Symbian c++... so I need an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    As far as I know, it can't be done programmatically with J2ME on Nokia phones and using published APIs. With a signed app, depending on the phone/case, you might possibly be able to manually configure a user application setting to bypass the prompts, or to warn only once, but I've never needed to try such a thing, so I'm not sure in which conditions even that might be possible.
    Talking about the scenario I have scenario in which I have to send all contacts from my Device/Sim to server via SMS for that I have to send a number of SMS, so each time it sends SMS it shows alert in front that annoys and my user requires not to use this alert somehow and rather show some waiting message there. Thats all what I want to do ... Please help if any possible solution you have in mind. Thanks

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by saqibatiq View Post
    Talking about the scenario I have scenario in which I have to send all contacts from my Device/Sim to server via SMS for that I have to send a number of SMS, so each time it sends SMS it shows alert in front that annoys and my user requires not to use this alert somehow and rather show some waiting message there. Thats all what I want to do ... Please help if any possible solution you have in mind. Thanks
    Instead of using SMS as a channel to send all contacts from device to Server, use HTTP.
    If you are forced to SMS channel then try to compress the contacts records together to reduce the no. of SMS to send out.

Or use a server side SMS gateway - that can be connected using HTTP to send your SMS to your server for backup of contacts.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps