Discussion Board

The SDK could not locate a JRE or JDK

Hi, I have installed Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java and couldn't run it because it couldn't found a JRE or JDK in despite I have installed JRE 6 and I have set an environmental variable: JAVA_HOME C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin

"A java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development kit (JDK) must be available in order to run Nokia IDE for Java ME v1.. No Java virtual machine was found after searching the following locations: C:\Nokia\IDE\jre\bin\javaw.exe javaw.exe in your current PATH"

Any ideas?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm running Windows 8 x64

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: The SDK could not locate a JRE or JDK

JAVA_HOME is one thing, the system path is an other. First you may want to ensure that typing javaw into a command prompt results in something else than an unknown command, program not-found message.
    Since Java has both 32 and 64 bit variants, you can try installing the other one (based on the path I would guess you have installed the 64-bit variant so far). Otherwise on the longer term you will need JDK, since that is required for development. It may happen that the message is misleading and it actually needs the JDK, not a JRE or JDK.
    Generally speaking you may need some extra settings and tweaks for running any kind of non-Microsoft SDK-s on Windows 8, as the currently available SDK-s on this site all predate Windows 8. Like this particular one was released on the 27th of August, 2012. Windows 8 shipped 2 months later.

Regular Contributor

You need a 32 bit version of the java sdk.
    I also made the mistake to use the 64bit version java on my then new 64-bit pc (it was windows 7)
    The 64-bit java version will try to call a 32 bit dll and fails.
    Luckily for desktop usage, the 32bit java version is normally enough.

Please give us update if it works then. (or if we should avoid windows 8 till Nokia give us an official way to use it.)

Regards

Karsten Meier

Super Contributor

Hi andrestoga ! Welcome to Nokia Developer Discussion Boards!!

To add : Its also mentioned in the SDK release notes "Emulator doesn't launch on Windows 7 64bit with JRE6 64bit".

It would be safe to try on 32bit

Regards
    Gopal

Thank you very much for your help!

I have succefully installed Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java on Windows 8 x64 installing x86 versions of JRE and JDK 6. But I don't know why the command prompt doesn't recognize javaw, if I set the environmental variable JAVA_HOME.

Best Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by andrestoga View Post
    Thank you very much for your help!

I have succefully installed Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java on Windows 8 x64 installing x86 versions of JRE and JDK 6. But I don't know why the command prompt doesn't recognize javaw, if I set the environmental variable JAVA_HOME.

Best Regards,
    I'm not sure to understand. Were you able to make the SDK 2.0 work on Windows 8 64 bits, or is the problem you mention about javaw preventing it from running normally?

Most likely that would not have anything to do with the JAVA_HOME variable, but with the PATH variable.

=========
    UPDATE
    =========

I just noticed the last post was almost a month ago Anyway, I just wanted to know if the SDK will run on a Win 8 64 bits machine.
    -CarlosDL

I tried, and it installed without any issues, and everything seems to work just fine. I have a 64 bits JDK installed, and the only setting I needed to change for a game I tested was the compliance level (which I set to 1.4 to avoid a ClassFormatError message).
    -CarlosDL