Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Is Iraq a tough market??

I have an app that gets hundreds of downloads a day from Iraq and it has an in app purchase. The Nokia store has confirmed for me that it is possible for a person in Iraq to make a purchase.
    I have not seen 1 single purchase from that country!

I was just after impressions from others to see if they also see this behavior, and as to what it takes to entice someone from Iraq to make a purchase?
    Is it impossible?

Super Contributor

Re: Is Iraq a tough market?

IMHO, the main reason being the Credit card penetration being very less compared to other markets, and I doubt there are any major Operators doing Billing for Nokia AppStore in Iraq.

Regards
    Gopal

Regular Contributor

In that case I was thinking of making my app free in Iraq because I don't want them to miss out. But I'm too worried about piracy, older free versions of this app are plastered all over the web for download.
    Should I be worried about that sort of piracy?

If you make your app free,you can expect your app sisx file to be share freely around pirate forum.That because if you make your app free,users with know how can download sisx file from nokia store.But a paid version cannot be download.This is the reason why symbian ecosystem is pirate infested.It because nokia allow users to download a copy of sisx file from nokia store if the app is free.I'm sure it have happen for years.I hope any nokia moderator read this post and fix the problem.

Super Contributor

If you want to give it free for all users in Iraq and to avoid Piracy outside Iraq, you can create a version of the app, with small modifications, For eg : During app start-up, it will check for the current country code and if the country code returned during run time matches with that of Iraq, the app will continue to run, else it will show error message.

Hope this helps ?

Regards
    Gopal

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by balagopalks View Post
    If you want to give it free for all users in Iraq and to avoid Piracy outside Iraq, you can create a version of the app, with small modifications, For eg : During app start-up, it will check for the current country code and if the country code returned during run time matches with that of Iraq, the app will continue to run, else it will show error message.

Hope this helps ?

Regards
    Gopal
    Great Idea! I'll look into doing that. It's just a shame that a country that wants this sort of app the most is not able to take full advantage of it.
    Just a quick question, do you know if this is a reliable check or will doing that cause users in Iraq to have random failures?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by CLTSchwarz View Post
    Great Idea! I'll look into doing that. It's just a shame that a country that wants this sort of app the most is not able to take full advantage of it.
    Just a quick question, do you know if this is a reliable check or will doing that cause users in Iraq to have random failures?
    I have tried very similar case in India with Country code check and worked well with out any issues. I hope it would work for Iraq also - But never got a chance to try it there..

Regards
    Gopal

Nokia Developer Moderator

As a pessimist I would like to point out that you will probably encounter problems with QA. It is doutful that applications are actually tested at their location(s) for distribution and/or with SIM cards originating from that location(s). So prepare for a tough ride (at the end you may succeed with convincing them to test with your expected environment).

Super Contributor

@Wizard, If developer has mentioned the app will only work in Iraq, Publisher QA team will find an alternative to get it tested. I know the cases from India, which I have processed. But Yes, I agree, Iraq is a different case though

Regards
    Gopal