Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How can i filter contacts on basis of app installation

Hi, i am developing an app in which i need to filter my contacts on basis of my app installation which means if my friend has that particular app installed in her mobile then only i can view her contact in my contact list of app....how can do so in javame....plzz help

thanks
    swati!!

Super Contributor

Re: How can i filter contacts on basis of app installation

I think you are planning for some kind of a Chat App ?

AFAIK, there is no direct API available in Java ME, but you can do it by Syncing with your server. This is the quick solution that comes to my mind : User installs the App > Enter his/her mobile number and logs in > Client ask for user permission and uploads all the phone contacts(Access Phone contacts via JSR 75 PIM API) to server via Internet > The server should have the list of all users registered > Compare the uploaded numbers with existing / registered numbers in the server > return the matches only to the client and display it. You can also set the Online / offline status based on the availability / connected status. - I hope I have made it clear ?

Please ensure the privacy part is very well taken care of, else you could end up in legal issues.

Regards
    Gopal

Nokia Developer Moderator

I do not get the 'if' and 'only' parts. View the contacts where? What happens if the application is not installed?
    What is sure is that a Java ME application can not restrict anything.
    What is also sure is that a Java ME application which is not installed on a given device, can do absolutely nothing.

Could you try describing the goals again? What would you like to see on your device in your application, and what would you like your friend see on her device in your application?

The GAE things are moved to your older thread, http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...Engine-In-java

Quote Originally Posted by balagopalks View Post

AFAIK, there is no direct API available in Java ME, but you can do it by Syncing with your server. This is the quick solution that comes to my mind : User installs the App > Enter his/her mobile number and logs in > Client ask for user permission and uploads all the phone contacts(Access Phone contacts via JSR 75 PIM API) to server via Internet > The server should have the list of all users registered > Compare the uploaded numbers with existing / registered numbers in the server > return the matches only to the client and display it. You can also set the Online / offline status based on the availability / connected status. - I hope I have made it clear ?

Please ensure the privacy part is very well taken care of, else you could end up in legal issues.

Regards
    Gopal
    Sir i am still stuck ... i will have to create a databse that will be shared among my friends and that db will hold location coordinates which i will require in order to track them and list of all registered user which will be needed to compare among my contact list. But i am not getting or do not have any stuff clue how can i share that database . Is it i will have to create a website and register it and then only i can share a db ....... or sumthing else...
    Plzz sir put some light on this!!!

I really need ur help!!!
    Thanks
    Vinita!!!

Super Contributor

@Vinita, Dont make it complex - why you need to share the database ? You just need to share the values and sync it up correct ?

Regards
    Gopal

@Vinita, Dont make it complex - why you need to share the database ? You just need to share the values and sync it up correct ?

Regards
    Gopal
    Sir but how will i knw who al are registered unless the db is shared!!! As i will have to compare the registered user with my contacts ... db having list of registered user should be shared .
    or if i will have to share th values but how will i share by wat means? i am seriously blank on this part!!!
    Sir plzz help me asap...
    thanks
    Vinita!!!

(Gopal: I think the topic is the server-side database here)
    This is where Traud's remark applies again (from #12 of http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...sing-J2ME-code). Here we are talking about Mobile Java development, so the client.
    Discussing the development of a server starting from scratch is off-topic for this site. It is absolutely sure that whatever server technology you choose, it has developer discussion forums too.

Super Contributor

@Wizard, if I understand correctly Vinita is messing up on how to Sync Data in Server and Client - Vinita might be thinking that she have to send the complete DB to client inorder to sync it.

I guess offloading the syncing Job to Server and pushing only the relevant info (registered users) to the client would help here.

Regards
    Gopal

@Gopal sir : how to push only relevant information to the server from the database beacause the app will be installed in 2 or 3 mobiles and users will register there number from there respective mobile to the Database so that database should be common to all users and also the respected geocoordinates of the user should be displayed from that database....to all users who are requesting for their friends location...
    Overall it is just like friends and family locator but here we want to display one additional thing that only the registred contacts should be displayed on my contact list (this is just for displaying contacts and trackin the respective contact)...

Thanks
    swati!!!!!

The database could contain friendship relations too. Then an SQL join can help in getting friends and coordinates for a given user.

wizard!!4!four

Unhappy Re: How can i filter contacts on basis of app installation

Regards
    Gopal
    sir as u have said i am dont with that module i am getting all my registered contacts after comparing with server and displaying it on my app contact list it is working well with emulator but when i installed the same app on my mobile(actual device) it is not comparing and not showing me any of the contacts on my contact list of the app i am not getting what is the actual problem and dnt knw what is wrong with it..pllzz help asap

thanks
    vinita!!!

Super Contributor

Well, debugging required here and I can give some hints - Are you getting responses from server to the client ? Are you in GPRS / 3G network ? Which emulator you have used and which is the real device you are using ?

Regards
    Gopal
    Twitter : @balagopalks
    Linkedin : @balagopalks

Well, debugging required here and I can give some hints - Are you getting responses from server to the client ? Are you in GPRS / 3G network ? Which emulator you have used and which is the real device you are using ?

Regards
    Gopal
    Yaa i am getting responses server in other modules as well.... and i am using 3G network. Emulator i am using is Nokia Sdk 2.0 S60 i.e Nokia Asha...
    whereas the actual device i am using is E5 i.e. Symbian S60 3.2

Super Contributor

@angelvini210, Please note Nokia Asha devices are based on Series 40 platform and E5 is a Symbian device - Which is your target platform ? If its Symbian, you need to download Symbian SDK which supports Java.

Regards
    Gopal
    Twitter : @balagopalks
    Linkedin : @balagopalks