Discussion Board

Thread: Funky!

Funky!

Anybody still here? Just a bit of a rant

I'm a dev that's been in the Store for almost 3 years now. I wasn't very active last year (just a few cosmetic updates here and there) still I've got 5 Java games in the Store that are still selling a bit. Last week their certificate expired so I decided to re-upload their unsigned, but otherwise identical versions back to the Store and request Nokia to sign them.

All of them failed QA for various funky reasons! Mind you, those are the games that have been in the Store for 3 years now and have passed QA some 20 times each. The reasons:

- one does not have Vendor's name in its 'About' screen (supposedly that's a Java Verified requirement, well yes - it only has the app name and version name there)
    - another supposedly 'requires download of additional files after installation on S40 5th FP1' which 'needs to be documented with the user in the app's metadata' (I have no idea what the reviewer is talking about, I certainly do not download any additional files, maybe on S40 some libraries are missing? )
    - another supposedly 'gathers user's private information' and 'does not provide privacy policy' ( reviewers explanation: 'upon finishing a level we are required to log in to send our highscore to a leaderboard') This is a total misunderstanding. Upon finishing a level the user indeed HAS AN OPTION to upload his score to a leaderboard, and the first time he does it, he has to choose some string, any string like for example '123', to appear in the highscores list. How is that 'gathering user's private information' ?
    - things get even more interesting: I've also got a free version of the last app (the only difference is that this one lets you play only a few first levels) and this one passed QA, even though it 'gathers user's private information' in exactly the same way like the failed one does.
    - another one crashes on Nokia 500 5th Edition and Anna (it does not on Nokia 500 Belle or anywhere else). This is Nokia's fault (earlier firmwares had a corrupt M3G library) but earlier reviewers simply failed it on that one device and let everything else go. This one simply failed everything outright and I have to resubmit the whole thing.

In short, now they've got some pretty bored, picky mothershaggers sitting there throwing the book at you. Gosh!
    Last edited by Utumno; 2013-01-30 at 11:10.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Funky!

Hello, I would have good explanation for couple of the points. Basically rules have been modified since the last time you submitted the content, thus with current rules your application would fail, for example the privacy issues handling was added less than year ago. thus you would need to check the documentation for the privacy and comply with the rules.

Same goes with other changes, such as that you are required to identify the developer in the about view.

For the additional download issue, I would suggest you test it with clean device (RDA might help) and see whether you can see the behavior, and if not then you could ask additional information from the QA

And for the crashing issue, you could either remove such device from the distribution list, or try working around the problem. The basic fact is that we should not attempt to deliver application to users if it is not working on the target device.

Thanks! All the issues mentioned in my previous email corrected, yet only 1 out of five games has passed so far, 3 have failed and the fifth is still in QA.

The bored reviewers keep throwing funky issues at me. This time

- the app that crashes in Nokia 500 had its distribution list changed to exclude Nokia 500. Yet, it still failed bacause ... it crashes on Nokia 500. Sweet! How am I supposed to tell the reviewers that Nokia 500 is no longer on the list of supported devices? (incidentally the Belle version should be , but I just wanted to be on the safe side ) (actually, this is the effing M3G library inside Nokia 500 that crashes, not my app. The whole MIDP thread panics as soon as you import java.microedition.m3g.* so no way to catch this )

- another 2 apps failed because

SUMMARY: When suspending the application in the background, the application dose not pause in Author's Puzzle/IEC Art Puzzle.
    STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Download the content OTA.
    2. Install and launch the content file with the Author's Puzzle/IEC Art Puzzle begin.
    3. Suspend the application in the background.
    ACTUAL RESULT: The application dose not pause, when the application is suspedned in background in the Author's Puzzle/IEC Art Puzzle.
    EXPECTED RESULT: The tally function feature from the content file should not running while the content file is in the background.
    AFFECTED DEVICES: All devices.
    FREQUENCY REPRODUCED: 100%. (public, Qa in progress -> Qa failed)

What exactly do they want me to do? The app does not play any music, does not draw anything. It also does not release any resources when in background. It just sits there with the main thread running and waking up every 100 ms, checking isShown(), and going back to sleep for another 100 ms. I do that because I have read in this forum that killing threads in hideNotify() and restarting them from showNotify() is a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Utumno View Post
    It just sits there with the main thread running and waking up every 100 ms, checking isShown(), and going back to sleep for another 100 ms.
    Probably a suspended code is not expected to do anything 10 times per second.
    I do that because I have read in this forum that killing threads in hideNotify() and restarting them from showNotify() is a bad idea.
    You could wait on some object. Toggle some flag in hideNotify, then check the flag in the given thread, if it is true, wait on some object, and notify it in showNotify. Wrap all of these steps into some synchronization (like synchronize to the object you would use for wait-notify).

Thanks guys for the responses. Status: 4 apps passed, the last is still failing QA with exactly the same error like before:

Comments from the QA team:
    Failed QA.
    SUMMARY: When suspending the application in the background, the application dose not pause in Author's Puzzle/IEC Art Puzzle.
    STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Download the content OTA.
    2. Install and launch the content file with the Author's Puzzle/IEC Art Puzzle begin.
    3. Suspend the application in the background.
    ACTUAL RESULT: The application dose not pause, when the application is suspedned in background in the Author's Puzzle/IEC Art Puzzle.
    EXPECTED RESULT: The tally function feature from the content file should not running while the content file is in the background.
    AFFECTED DEVICES: All devices.
    FREQUENCY REPRODUCED: 100%. (public, Qa in progress -> Qa failed)

Now, I have implemented Wizard's solution and debugging (both on a simulator and on actual device) confirms the main thread is suspended now. So now, when in the background, the app just sits there with no threads running (granted I do not release any resources either).

This is very strange. The other apps (which have passed) also do not release anything when suspended; they do not do anything that the failing app wouldn't already do. Looks like I simply do not understand this error: "the application does not pause in Author's Puzzle/IEC Art Puzzle" What is IEC Art Puzzle? Can anybody shed some light how do they test it ?

Looks like they install my app while some other app is running (the 'Author's Puzzle/IEC Art Puzzle' thing, whatever it is) , then they put one of the apps to the background (is it mine or the other one - not clear to me) and they expect the 'tally function' (whatever that is) not to run. At least that's how I understand this English...
    Last edited by Utumno; 2013-02-18 at 10:19.

I can not decode, sorry. It would be interesting to know how they are testing and what, but I am familiar with Symbian tests only. http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...eria#FN8_Pause seem to apply here, but it does not tell much, and one of the two links is dead in addition.