Discussion Board

Exclamation Bluetooth Barcode Scanner for Lumia Phones

Hello,

I'm interested on using a Bluetooth Barcode device integrated with Lumias for an industrial app.
    An example of the device I want to use is this Samsung device:
    http://shop.brando.com/mobile-barcod...c0359d066.html

There are two points to overcome:
    + Is there any API which allows me to work with this device
    + Fits this device or other similar one with any of the Lumia phones? Is there any barcode device compatible with Lumias like those that currently there are for Android devices?

Is industrial segment in the Nokia roadmap?
    Is it better I take into considerarion the option of migrating my app to Android.

Regards!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Bluetooth Barcode Scanner for Lumia Phones

Hi Sergio!

Windows Phone 8 have a Bluetooth API both for devices and accesories. It support various Bluetooth scenarios and profiles: A2DP 1.2, AVRCP 1.4, HFP 1.5, PBAP 1.1, OPP 1.1 and NFC OOB. The scanner you put, use Serial Port Profile (SPP) who is not Supported by Windows Phone 8 bluetooth API. If you find a scanner compatible with the bluetooth profiles Supported by Windows Phone, you can use it without a problem.

Hope This help!

Hi Josue!

One day it would be great to know how do you manage to be everywhere where WinPhone doubts arise
    Many thanks you for your quick answer!

Problem is I'm not able to find Windos Phone compatible barcode devices that can fit on a Lumia.
    Indeed, the answer I would like to hear it would be that Nokia or other company is working on a device that fullfill my needs.

Next month we will need to take a decision regarding whether we have to migrate to Android (Xamarin) or not.

Any clue if this is something likely that happens in a near future?

Regards Josue!

Nokia Developer Moderator

This story is not about Nokia, Lumia, other phone manufacturers. It is about Microsoft's decision.
    Here is a pretty fresh page from MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...v=vs.105).aspx
    Even if the hardware supports BT SPP (which is quite likely), you simply do not get access to it as 3rd party software developer.

Thank you wizard_hu

I see the current limitations you show me.

The point is I consider Lumia 920 a strong enough device to get into the industrial segment with a cheap price compared to expensive rugged handhelds. The only that it would need is a compatible barcode scanner. Indeed this is a movement other smatphone companies are doing.

In my opinion, Nokia, as a strong Microsoft ally, can & should pressure Microsoft to remove the barries to accomplish this movement.
    At the end of the day it will help to increase Lumia sales that is just what both want, isn't it?

Regards

It is certainly a different direction but implementing a software barcode reader is certainly possible. It has been implemented many times on phones equipped with much weaker camera and processing capabilities than a Nokia Lumia 920. Of course it is still going to be slower and range-constrained when compared to a specialized piece of hardware with its laser(s).
    For the price point, as an end user I do not really see the Lumias that cheap, but I am not familiar with industry-grade mobile devices.

Yes I take a look to this software barcode reader solution but as you say its speed doesn't fullfill the requeriments.
    Well under the consumer market perspective Lumia 920 is far from cheap, but compared with industrial handhelds it is.

A sample: http://www.myshopping.com.au/ZM--122...ld_PDA_Systems

The price difference increases specially if you take into account that telephone operators subsidize consumers when they buy smartphones.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Sergio, wizard_hu_
    Talking to some Windows Phone Dev MVPs about this issue they told me that in fact is possible to use spp barcode scanners using StreamSockets implemented in Windows Phone. Hiere you can see a post about that: http://peterfoot.net/32feetNETForWindowsPhone.aspx

Hope this help!

Woow, it sounds great.

I will give it a try as soon as I find which bluetooth scanner fits better with Lumia shape.

What a productive Sunday,
    Thank you for your help guys!!!!

Hehe, I love this "modesty" of Microsoft... Yes, digging into the topic shows that a Wiki article also mentions this, http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...indows_Phone_8

With "modesty" I think I know what you mean but not sure.
    Thank you for the interesting code snippet within this Wiki article

Today has been my first day at Nokia dev forums, I suppose it won't be the last one.

Regards

Thanks for sharing this. From my point of view the bluetooth API have less support in Windows 8 Phone, compared to the earlier Symbian
    models regarding this I guess. Is this considered streamsocket to be a fully useful and official workaround for the missing SPP profile? I try to understand the decision not to
    include support on this and when and if it will be supported later on. It is like the fatal mistake not to include wlan hotspot sharing in earlier
    Nokia models on chip.