Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Signing personal application

I want to sign a personal application that only I will be using I can't make it work! I searched on google for 2 day .. TWO DAYS! non stop. I know every damn post word by word and yet I can't get it working. I don't want to buy it, I donn't want to make money from it, I don't want it to work on other phones except mine but I want to use it without those irritating confirmation dialogs. Is there anyone how can tell me EXACTLY how to do this and not using carbide.j for example that discontinued in 2007!?!?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: SIGN A GOD DAMN PERSONAL APPLICATION

I would not bet on that such thing (free Java ME signing at home, restricted to your phone) exists. If your code meets some standards, you can have it signed for the Nokia Store (http://info.publish.nokia.com), and get it back from there.
    An article you may want to refer to is http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...curity_Domains, it tells what settings may be possible at all (see the various phone/platform-specific sheets linked at the end).

And how exactly can I sign it for the Nokia Store? Do I need to buy a 300$ certificate? I want to do this for free because I don't see any reasons for investing in it. I don't understand what the last link is trying to tell. I have an S40 Nokia Asha 302.

Nokia Developer Champion

Actually if you follow wizard-hu's link you might notice the following :
    "With so many good reasons to become a Nokia publisher, why wait? For a €1 registration fee, you can start today by signing up to create a publisher account."
    You might want to look into it, 1 dollar isn't much...
    You can do everything for free, develop your app, get help here, get documentation online, install the app on your phone.. it's all free, but you want something extra : which is stopping the confirmation popups that are needed to make the Java sandbox somewhat safe... That means you have to "convince" the OS that your app is a trustworthy one, which is the whole idea of signing the app, and that costs money...
    So that would be the reason for investing in it : getting rid of the popups... For free you get the popups
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolter View Post
    And how exactly can I sign it for the Nokia Store?
    See https://www.developer.nokia.com/Dist...idelines.xhtml, and the link in #2.
    Do I need to buy a 300$ certificate?
    No, that is something what you could do right now.
    I want to do this for free because I don't see any reasons for investing in it.
    Unfortunately there is an 1 EUR registration fee.
    I don't understand what the last link is trying to tell.
    That is the main page of the publisher site.

It is about distribution, so if you decide to take this path, your application is meant to be distributed via the Nokia Store. In return they sign it for you. If you decide to distribute it for free, you can download it for free, and anyone else. If you set a price point, you may earn some revenue, but on the other hand you also have to buy the application if you want to use it. And because it is an official application store, whatever appears there has to meet some criteria, see http://support.publish.nokia.com/?p=64
    There is a set of discussion boards about publishing to the Store here: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...to-Nokia-Store

1 EUR is not that much so I made the account. The question is, if I buy the app from myself, doesn't the money get back to me again?

Nokia Developer Champion

1 EUR is not that much so I made the account. The question is, if I buy the app from myself, doesn't the money get back to me again?
    Part of it. Not all of it. Nokia takes its cut, too (and part of the Nokia cut is what Nokia has to leave for the payment providers, too).

There is share between you and Nokia, you get 70% of the net income. See http://support.publish.nokia.com/?cat=6, Finance and Payouts

Aha. But now I have to wait 5-7 days to use the application. Isn't there any other solution for it? I mean, it's my own phone, my own application, I should be able to use it with always allow option available. Can't I make it so it would run only on my phone with full access (using the IMEI for example)?

Nokia Developer Champion

You could hack your phone. The Pros go for the mentioned VeriSign certificate themselves. All others do hack their phone and live with it. By the way, which API do you want to use? Perhaps (actually probably) signing your code might not help at all.

it's my own phone, my own application.
    Yes, but is TELCO network. Signature is a telco requirement in the first place, I think

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ng_for_dummies
    http://javaverified.com/files/signin...plications.pdf

TELCO? What is TELCO?

TELEcommunication COmpany. Your mobile provider.

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    You could hack your phone. The Pros go for the mentioned VeriSign certificate themselves. All others do hack their phone and live with it. By the way, which API do you want to use? Perhaps (actually probably) signing your code might not help at all.
    javax.microedition.io.Connector and javax.microedition.io.file.FileConnection
    Last edited by Revolter; 2013-02-08 at 18:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Adi.Stoicuta View Post
    TELEcommunication COmpany. Your mobile provider.
    I think it is Orange ...
    Last edited by Revolter; 2013-02-08 at 18:09.