Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

Problem with Background Agent to update Live Tile when compiled in Windows 8

Hi,

I have made a Windows Phone 7 application which uses a Background Agent to update Live Tile. This application works perfectly in Windows Phone 7 when it is compiled in Windows 7 using Visual Studio 2010 and Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1. Released application XAP file is working and Live Tile is updating about every 30 minutes like it should be.

I have compiled this application (with same project source files) also in Macintosh running with VMWare Fusion 5 and Windows 8 with Visual Studio 2012 and Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1. Released application XAP file is installing, working and Background Agent is started (it is visible in Phone's Background Tasks) and Live Tile is updating a few times BUT Background Agent is dropped unexpectedly when time is gone about two or three hours and it is not updating Lite Tile anymore.

Why this same application source code is not working if it is compiled in Windows 8 with newer version of Visual Studio?

Any ideas or what I am missing here?

Br,
    Pasi

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Problem with Background Agent to update Live Tile when compiled in Windows 8

What type of work does your background agent does?

Windows Phone automatically terminates background agents that either take too long to run or that may start to use up too much system resources for too long. You should try to profile the background agent to see exactly whats going. To make it easier take a look at the option to launch the service for testing so you dont have to wait too long: ScheduledActionService.LaunchForTest Method

Some interesting reading about optimization of Background agents:
    http://blog.csainty.com/2011/08/wp75...nd-agents.html
    http://www.weichhold.com/2011/11/16/...ground-agents/

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Problem with Background Agent to update Live Tile when compiled in Windows 8

Hi,

application reads data from IsolatedStorage and updates Live Tile. Like I wrote it works perfect when it is compiled in Windows 7 with Visual Studio 2010. I have tested it with LauchForTest and it works, but compiled XAP file is causing problems when compiled in Windows 8 and Visual Studio 2012.

Br, Pasi.

Nokia Developer Moderator

You may consider comparing the output files (not necessarily the single installation package, but the binaries).
    The different SDK may matter, especially if the device has not been updated at all.

Nokia Developer Champion

I renamed XAP files to ZIP and uncompressed but I didn't find any differences. This a strange problem, but I will continue that project with real Windows 7 machine...

Br,
    Pasi.

I found a few differences debugging an application with windows 8 and windows 7 (always on a mac computer with parallels), but not always it is a random.
    --------------------------------------------
    No Where Man
    Independent developer
    http://www.nowhereman.eu