Discussion Board

Question Time Change How?

Hi,
    I am working on a project that sends some info to server at specific times, which set from server too. I use async timer to achive that, but now I have a problem with that, if time changed by user, I may be using wrong time at info that I send. For solution at Android client, I use elapsed time info from SystemClock, which gives time in milliseconds since phone started and server time which I get from server at every connection. But when I try to do same at symbian client, I couldn't found anything like Android's systemClock.ElapsedTime function. I searched forum and found that;

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...nge-protection

That is nearly same problem as I have, but it seems like there is nothing I can do at 3rd edition. But it was a old thread, so is there a solution for that problem?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Time Change How?

Haven't seen any public SDK API which would make any difference, anyway, you could catch the time change event, and then maybe use external services to check the actual time as suggested in: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...e-network-time

Symbian has After timers, which do not depend on the actual clock settings. On the other hand User/RTimer::After can schedule around 35 minutes maximum (the parameter is 32-bit signed, microseconds).
    User has hardware counters too, like N/TickCount.

Thanks for answers, but using external services could cost much, because almost every nokia phone send timechange to timer every 30 minutes. And maybe couldn't connect to network at that point. But using RTimer::After may be the solution, but 35 minutes is very short interval for my application. I'll try to save total time for intervals and use 30 minutes timers to implement, but I think, it won't be working right.

Maybe you could also re-think the requirements. f.ex. if the requirement for the time, is not to allow going back-in-time, then the easiest solution would be to have a time stamp saved, and to compare it to current one, and seeing that old time stamp must be in past. Though this could fail at least once a year with daylight savings timezones.