Discussion Board

Lumia 800 Screen Resolution

Hi guys,

Does anyone know why or how to fix a Nokia Lumia 800 screen resolution issue?
    I am currently testing my application on 3 different Lumia 800 handsets.
    The problem that I am having is that on every single unit the colour shades are slightly different. Even though the code stays the same.
    This affects all apps and not just my app.

If I select a blue colour with hex value of "3cdcfc" for example to display in my app, then it displays as 3cdcfc on one handset but "2dd4fe" on another handset and another colour on the 3rd handset. Is there a reason for the colour change between handsets running the exact same firmware and OS version? Is there a way to fix this?

The issue is that some of the buttons are not visible when theme colour is changed to light mode, due to the colour variations on certain units.

Is there a software fix for this? Or is this hardware related?

Any help will be appreciated.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Lumia 800 Screen Resolution

If it is the same phones then it may only be a brightness problem, try setting the same brightness for the 3 devices (Settings =>brightness).
    Last edited by Loukt; 2013-02-11 at 18:26. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by Loukt View Post
    If it is the same phones then it may only be a luminosity problem, try setting the same luminosity for the 3 devices (Settings =>Luminosity).
    Luminosity settings? There are no such settings on the Lumia800 handsets I have or at least not in "Settings =>Luminosity". Could you send a screenshot.

Nokia Developer Champion

My mistake, I meant brightness

My mistake, I meant brightness
    Thank you for the feedback.
    Brightness is set the same on all 3 handsets but they all display different colours. Battery levels are also the same.

Nokia Developer Champion

I hope it's not set to auto, try setting brightness to high or medium in all the device.

I'd like to know, how do you get the hex value from your devices ?

Update : check this link http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lu...mia-800-a.html
    If I understand the colors are slightly different depending on the phone models(in Lumia 800 case, each color have its own model) and since it's a manufacturer thing so you can't fix it.
    Last edited by Loukt; 2013-02-11 at 23:37.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Out of curiosity how did you got those different color numbers? How did you read them?

Windows Phone does not have a Color Profile calibration option. Thats something I would like to see in the platform. For some time now I'm an amateurs photographer also and its a bit of a pain to do edits on the phone and then when looking at the same photo it looks really different.

This is color differences are usual on TFT and AMOLED screens. I've saw it many times before and I believe that its due to the batches of screens, age, settings, color calibration, etc. There is no way currently to normalize this.

If I understand the colors are slightly different depending on the phone models (in Lumia 800 case, each color have its own model) and since it's a manufacturer thing so you can't fix it.
    @Loukt - You understand it correctly, yes sadly it seems this is a hardware thing and nothing we as developers can do to fix this.

@Loudt @joaocardoso - Lifting Hex is not possible on lumia 800, so I snapped a manual picture and lifted the hex value using a photo editing software on my pc.
    This method will obviously not reproduce the exact hex value but it gives you guys the idea of what the error is.

Another way would be to take a screenshot and then lift the hex values on a pc editor, but since there is no fast easy way to take screensnaps on Lumia, I opted for taking a picture of the screens with a camera.

Thank you for the feedback.

Nokia Developer Moderator

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu..._Windows_Phone may help with capturing screens. However it would be a bit surprising if the pixel values were different.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu..._Windows_Phone may help with capturing screens. However it would be a bit surprising if the pixel values were different.
    Never thought there was an app for WP7 helping with screen captures, Thank you wizard_hu_!

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Thank you for the feedback @wizard_hu
    Having just taken screenshots using the screensnap tool, I can confirm that the colour is not really changing on the actual code. It is related to the brightness on the device as per @Loukt feedback.
    It seems that the brightness is not the same on each unit even though they are setup exactly the same. This seems to be a hardware issue and not something developers can fix.