Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Champion

Is running background service possible in WP8?

Is running background service possible in WP8, that can be auto started when the phone boots up - that can capture long press (3 sec) of camera key - send SMS - or make http calls... sending its GPS location to some back-end server etc?
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Is running background service possible in WP8?

The capture camera key part is not supported.

and neither sending sms (the best it can do is open a sms editor for you...but you have to send it manually)

Nokia Developer Champion

Can we capture - long press of any hard key on the device - volume key, camera key or power key, and signal the background service to start sending its GPS location over a http connection ?
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh

Quote Originally Posted by im2amit View Post
    Can we capture - long press of any hard key on the device - volume key, camera key or power key, and signal the background service to start sending its GPS location over a http connection ?
    The latter is a possibility I think, although a little scratchy with the background process (atleast I felt so) while the former does not seem very possible (I may stand corrected if there is something new of these kind in WP8 though)

Nokia Developer Champion

Please suggest - how to get it done for a Windows phone!

We need to program Lumia to help any person in 'case of emergency' !

Where a single button press/hold - can launch a app Or give signal to a background running Location Services - to start broadcasting the distress signal along with this person's GPS co-ordinates -who needs help- to public/others who can give help.

As use of Hard-key (like power/camera/volume) as Emergency key makes more sense - rather then unlocking the phone and pressing an icon on touch screen for this purpose - please suggest if it can be done, if yes - how ?
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh

Nokia Developer Champion

Where a single button press/hold - can launch a app Or give signal to a background running Location Services - to start broadcasting the distress signal along with this person's GPS co-ordinates -who needs help- to public/others who can give help.
    I'm afraid that this wouldn't be possible , you can just override the press/hold buttons behaviors, and as far as I know , there's no way you can lunch an app programmatically

Please suggest - how to get it done for a Windows phone!

We need to program Lumia to help any person in 'case of emergency' !

As use of Hard-key (like power/camera/volume) as Emergency key makes more sense - rather then unlocking the phone and pressing an icon on touch screen for this purpose - please suggest if it can be done, if yes - how ?
    You could find http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...7526-WP7-ideas of mine a little interesting as I was seeking some similar stuff sometime back

Nokia Developer Champion

So now on WP8 - I can launch this app only by first unlocking the screen and then touching the Title for it ? correct - no other way (its looks difficult in emergency time).

Once the app launches.... Can it start using GPS / HTTP connection and Audio/video capture without asking any further permissions in run-time ? (I am OK will all instillation time permissions / approvals)
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh

Nokia Developer Champion

Once the app launches.... Can it start using GPS / HTTP connection and Audio/video capture without asking any further permissions in run-time ? (I am OK will all instillation time permissions / approvals)
    Yes you can definitely do that, just keep in mind to give the user the possibility to deactivate it in your app in order to respect the submission guidelines

So now on WP8 - I can launch this app only by first unlocking the screen and then touching the Title for it ? correct - no other way (its looks difficult in emergency time).

There is an possibility that its not perfect but that can work.

Make your app Voice controlled and then the user will only have to slide up the lock screen, and press the home button for a couple of seconds. The voice recognition engine will pop up and the user would have to say a simple word like Help or something.

Another solution, is long pressing a camera button. You could do a fake Camera lens for this porpuse. Long press the camera button, press the camera lens and select the app. Not easy, its still a 3 step process, but there is no swipe involved so it may be a bit easier.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post
    Another solution, is long pressing a camera button. You could do a fake Camera lens for this porpuse. Long press the camera button, press the camera lens and select the app. Not easy, its still a 3 step process, but there is no swipe involved so it may be a bit easier.
    Will this pass the marketplace certification tests ?

Quote Originally Posted by WPMorocco View Post
    Will this pass the marketplace certification tests ?
    Not sure. Never tried. While it would be a "fake" camera lens app, it would still be an app as any other. It would be used in a different and probably original way

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post
    Not sure. Never tried. While it would be a "fake" camera lens app, it would still be an app as any other. It would be used in a different and probably original way
    I don't think it will pass the certification since you don't have a viewfinder as a firstscreen, as stated in the requierement 6.13 (see link/text below)

6.13.1 : When a lens app is launched from the lens picker, the app must immediately display the app viewfinder.
    If a lens app requires the user to complete either of the following actions, the app must immediately display the app viewfinder after the action is completed:
    •A one-time user policy consent
    •Authentication credentials

Source : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...v=vs.105).aspx

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi.
    Maybe you could use a nfc tag to launch your applciation? And use a background agent to check position every X minutes?

Nfc is readed when lockscreen is displayed, too.