Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

how many downloads are in the WP store?

any number it would be sufficient totalDailyDownloads or totalMonthlyDownloads

WHY?
    I thing for a developer this is a very important question
    from developer point of view the store highest ratio DailyDownloads/NumberOfAppsInStore should be the best

from my point of view the Nokia store is the best from this point

but I want to know where WP store stands, because I cannot find any numbers but the number of apps

developers(business) would go where users are!

for example I am not convinced to develop for WP, if Adobe AIR for WP would be available I would port my flash apps to WP quickly... but to start to learn a native environment without knowing how many users are out there is not going to hapened
    Last edited by shpe; 2013-02-14 at 12:21.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: how many downloads are in the WP store?

You would probably need to direct that question to Microsoft, since they are the ones hosting the store really.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by shpe View Post
    any number it would be sufficient totalDailyDownloads or totalMonthlyDownloads
    These numbers may very from app to app depending on the various form factor like PAID, FREE app, GAME/UTILITY etc etc.. . So, conclusively it's difficult to say what is the average download.

However, based on my experience the daily download count may vary from sub hundred to few thousands. There is good potential to earn from apps considering you opt for the right model (paid or add supported) based on your app's nature.

At the end, best thing is to give it a try it yourself :-)

Thanks and Regards
    Nishant Rana

Nokia Developer Champion

I'm talking about this kind of numbers:
    http://mynokiablog.com/2012/07/03/no...e-120000-apps/

Quote Originally Posted by nishantcop View Post
    These numbers may very from app to app depending on the various form factor like PAID, FREE app, GAME/UTILITY etc etc.. . So, conclusively it's difficult to say what is the average download.

However, based on my experience the daily download count may vary from sub hundred to few thousands. There is good potential to earn from apps considering you opt for the right model (paid or add supported) based on your app's nature.

At the end, best thing is to give it a try it yourself :-)

Thanks and Regards
    Nishant Rana

Quote Originally Posted by nishantcop View Post
    I guess Shpe means the complete lack of numbers, regardless of "precise" average or marketing-rounded ones.
    Just search for windows phone store statistics with Google, then nokia store statistics for comparison. The former produces milestones about having 30000, 70000, 125000, etc. apps in the store. The second one brings hits like "Nokia Store reaches 15 Million Daily Downloads" (yeah, the same one which Shpe found) or "Nokia Store Statistics – 11Million Daily Downloads" on the first page.
    However, based on my experience the daily download count may vary from sub hundred to few thousands.
    Cool, do you have a public link?

Nokia Developer Champion

ok, let me ask like this: what reason I have to begin develop for WP?

keep in mind that I am a web/flash developer, got 2 apps in WP store and for sure I cannot port my other 70 apps to WP in a acceptable timeframe... unless I get some assurance that in WP store are indeed lots of users, which I cannot say from my downloads from my 2 apps...

keep in mind that I am a web/flash developer, got 2 apps in WP store and for sure I cannot port my other 70 apps to WP in a acceptable timeframe... unless I get some assurance that in WP store are indeed lots of users, which I cannot say from my downloads from my 2 apps...
    Well, you could get some assurance that there are lots of users, but that doesn't mean your apps will get lots of downloads ;-) . Unfortunately, in absence of numbers, one needs to try some experiments. Are your 2 apps free to download ? Free apps usually offer some idea of the number of users interested in a specific type of app.
    -CarlosDL

But I totally agree, those numbers are very important from the developer point of view, and they are missing.
    -CarlosDL

Hi Shpe,

What is an acceptable timeframe? 70 apps is a huge number and unless you have a large team of developers working for you, it will always be something that will take time.

What is your income strategy? Are these paid apps? Or you use some sort of advertizing? Or are these free apps?

When it comes to porting apps its always a difficult decision and one that you should take knowing what to expect. So yes knowing the numbers may be important. Problem is that numbers of downloads or users does not mean a thing., If you have an amazing app that there is no equal on the Windows Phone market, but there are already alternatives on other platforms, or your app is much better than the ones that exist currently, then perhaps you will make much more money on windows phone than on other larger markets, that are flooded with similar apps.

Also when migrating to a different platform you need to consider the cost of that migration. Time taken for each app.

Being a web/flash developer I can tell you right away that you should start consider moving away from flash and bet on HTML5 and with that move, perhaps think on publishing to multiple platforms.

Just my 2 cents

Nokia Developer Champion

for my Nokia apps/games it wouldn't take my more than a week (that is let's say 30 hours) - I develop apps in my spare time, and yes I'm alone (graphics/develop, ideas from time to time from my brother) - here is my apps: http://store.ovi.com/publisher/11

my first app was 2 years ago... so for sure I could have done better...

I got free and paid apps, and I can say that Nokia Store is the most effective for monetization (got also on Android and iOS) - unfortunately this won't last long as my apps are in 95% for symbian phones...

I have ported 2 simple apps and it worked pretty slow... I don't want thinking of porting a game... I will for sure be lost in the code. and the downloads for those apps was way to small compared with the same apps from Nokia... maybe 5-10%.
    So, NO I'm not convinced, and I will not be only because microsoft/nokia say that this is the future... meego was the future, now maybe ubuntu? I'm not convinced... maybe some Adobe AIR for WP, new HW sensors - kinect for fingers...

flash develop (AS2 mostlly) is awesome because of I don't know how to say... maybe contextual codding? you don't have to put all your code in one place and you certainly don't need to remember how did you name some of your objects... you simply go to your object in design (or object inside an object inside ... an object) and put the code for that object (handlers or whatever) - this way you have very fast developing times. There are programmers who use flash but the style of programming is like java... the AS3 is like that, and adobe ruined one fine way to develop...

I will develop in AdobeAIR/flash as log as I can, because this is a natural way to develop for me... I'm a developer-designer and I like to do things fast and working (not necessary perfect codding with descriptive variable names and stuff - and developing I'll go only for the purpose not making some cool general classes and reinvent the wheel just for the sake of developing)

HTML 5 is cool and a new open source standard, but why to develop a game maybe in 10X time when I can do it in 1X? for me that king of developing for sure is 10X

maybe I don't know the IDEs but I don't think that there is a graphical IDE that lets you put an object inside and object inside and object and so on. you have a car and the wheel inside the car object, the wheel has rotation++ and the car has x++ and the car is animated... and all these with 4lines of code and the drawing which is made inside the flash (not externaly and saved as png - not scalable vector)...

maybe for teams of hardcore developers and hardcore designers the HTML5/WP/native developing is better, but for me I want fast and simple ways to put my ideas in motion and for now I'll stick with flash-web developing

Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post
    Hi Shpe,

What is an acceptable timeframe? 70 apps is a huge number and unless you have a large team of developers working for you, it will always be something that will take time.

What is your income strategy? Are these paid apps? Or you use some sort of advertizing? Or are these free apps?

When it comes to porting apps its always a difficult decision and one that you should take knowing what to expect. So yes knowing the numbers may be important. Problem is that numbers of downloads or users does not mean a thing., If you have an amazing app that there is no equal on the Windows Phone market, but there are already alternatives on other platforms, or your app is much better than the ones that exist currently, then perhaps you will make much more money on windows phone than on other larger markets, that are flooded with similar apps.

Also when migrating to a different platform you need to consider the cost of that migration. Time taken for each app.

Being a web/flash developer I can tell you right away that you should start consider moving away from flash and bet on HTML5 and with that move, perhaps think on publishing to multiple platforms.

Just my 2 cents

Nokia Developer Champion

for example for the same app in WPstore I have 27.609 downloads in the first 15 days and in NokiaStore got 92.825 (in NokiaStore the app is for S60V5/anna/belle and i); the app is "Car Key"

anyone else got apps both in NokiaStore and WPstore? and if you do how many downloads or at least some comparison; for example for me NokiaStore got 3x more downloads than WPstore...

thanks
    Last edited by shpe; 2013-03-13 at 15:30.

Nokia Developer Champion

Perhaps you should look a little into what Expression Blend can do for you. It's the design part of Silverlight/XAML and allows you to do stuff pretty similar to how you do it in Flash. The programming is still C# but you can define animations there and simply use the code behind to move your defined "Controls" like e.g. a car around on the Canvas. For simple 2D games using the Silverlight UI instead of XNA/DirectX is a viable option.

As for download numbers I can't give you any comparison to the Nokia store as I started out on WP7 but I have one App that is seeing consistently ~ 5000 Downloads / day (Ad supported using Microsoft's PubCenter).