Discussion Board

Background Agent for capturing user data

Hi,

I would like to create a background agent which can capture information about location, sms, email, contacts or applications invoked(ofcourse within the limits of privacy). With symbian i was able to do that, but I am not sure I can capture all that. I know I can capture location information, and can compose sms,email using invoking tasks. But I was not able to find apis to read sms/email database.
    Any help appreciated.

Also I have noticed there is a app called mobilespy on windows phone which claims to capture all that information www.spy-mobile-phone.com/window-phone-8-spy.html
    Regards

- MVP
    "Dare To Dream" - A.P.J.Kalam

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Background Agent for capturing user data

Hello,
    Actually there's no API that retrieves SMS et Email data. this so called mobilespy is considered as a hack and it's not allowed to the Windows Phone Marketplace, my guess is they used native code in a lower level(for Rooted access devices) if so
    However, there is a SmsInterceptor Class included in the SDK, but apparently it's locked, and you need to have a specific authorization from Microsoft to deploy an application that uses it
    Last edited by WPMorocco; 2013-02-19 at 13:45.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I think that the Windows Phone spy is in fact a Windows Mobile app and not a Windows Phone app. That's why they can do all that they state. Just a guess, as I never used a service like this.

Mrudulpen, most of the things you want to log, you cant even with full access to all of the capabilities on the phone. The API is too restrictive for that type of monitoring. The only way to get into the phone at that level would be with what we usual refer to a rooted phone but that is something I would not advise.

Currently you can capture information about location and keep track of that as a background process. But the user needs to know, accept the terms and conditions, and must be given the option to turn off that feature.

hmm, idea was to show all the things to user, no hackish or sniffer kind of thing but may be i will go back to listviews and likes
    Regards

- MVP
    "Dare To Dream" - A.P.J.Kalam