Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

How many download my app have?

We often see "Visitor counter"on many websites.
    Let's say that one application is published on Windows Market Place. I want to implement "application download counter" with my app. I want to add an item "About" in my app and as soon as the user opens the "About" it should say some information about the application plus "How many total downloads my app have till today"

Is there any readily available API in WP which returns me "Total number of downloads my app have?". In the API, I just need to pass the application Id on Market Place and it will return total number of downloads.

I know one way to achieve this, is to call some webpage at first run of application and store the counter in some database or file. Later when user calls "About", the app will call a webpage and retrieve the saved counter from database or file from web and display it. But here I am talking about ready-made WP API.
    Last edited by girishpadia; 2013-02-24 at 12:24.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: How many download my app have?

No, actually there is no API for retrieving Apps download counters and I don't think there would be in the feature (one of the main reasons would be confidentiality issues).

Nokia Developer Moderator

Can not comment the existence part, but assuming the question is about the 'current app' (so the app requesting its own download statistics, and nothing else), or 'your apps' (statistics bound to the developer), confidentiality would not be a real issue.

Nokia Developer Champion

Yes it is about the "Current App" and it is requesting it's own statistics hence there should not be any confidentiality issue.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Can not comment the existence part, but assuming the question is about the 'current app' (so the app requesting its own download statistics, and nothing else), or 'your apps' (statistics bound to the developer), confidentiality would not be a real issue.