Discussion Board

Post Timestamping j2me app (Jar)

I have a j2me application that is signed with the certificate from VeriSign, I would like to timestamp it. Being a new in this I know nothing about this process, so if someone would like to give a detailed link of how can I process it? I am using Netbeans! Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Timestamping j2me app (Jar)

what do you mean timestamping it ? and what is it ? the jar ? only thing I used was versioning instead of timestamping (btw a jar should have a "created" timestamp, just as any other file). Versioning could be done easily in the project properties of your project.
    some background info :
    http://eclipseme.org/docs/jadeditor.html
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger79 View Post
    what do you mean timestamping it ? and what is it ? the jar ? only thing I used was versioning instead of timestamping (btw a jar should have a "created" timestamp, just as any other file). Versioning could be done easily in the project properties of your project.
    some background info :
    http://eclipseme.org/docs/jadeditor.html
    Thanks for the reply, well what I need is to solve issue of signing the app that can run even after the date is expired as I have singed it within the valid time period.
    My verisign certificate is valid till Jan 1 2014, which means any application signed within this duration should run even after 2014, Now as I sign my application and
    change the date of my handset to 2015 it shows error of Date expiring. Thats what I want to be solved, I had been told that timestamping could solve this issue
    so I tried but there too I have some issue regarding this So I posted it here. Now you tell me what the best solution is for this issue? Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

It is a bit random/coincidental thing, but the VeriSign link at the bottom of http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ning_-_Java_ME leads to https://knowledge.verisign.com/suppo...ntent&id=AR185, and there they appear to do this timestamping thing in the example command line for jarsigner. They talk about signing an applet there, but it may still give some idea.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    It is a bit random/coincidental thing, but the VeriSign link at the bottom of http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ning_-_Java_ME leads to https://knowledge.verisign.com/suppo...ntent&id=AR185, and there they appear to do this timestamping thing in the example command line for jarsigner. They talk about signing an applet there, but it may still give some idea.
    Thanks for the info, I went over there and there I found the whole procedure but one thing I want to know is that when after creating private/public key and CSR request it says something like this

"2. Begin the enrollment process for a Code Signing ID from the products and services section of the VeriSign Web site.
    3. Copy the contents of the CSR and paste them directly into the VeriSign enrollment form. Open the file in a text editor that does not add extra characters (Notepad or Vi are recommended)."

and when I go to the link provided it leads me to Symentics site and there I get no option like that, or I am asked to pay there for code signing, while I already have a certificate for which I have paid, what do I do now? Would I have to do it the time I purchased the certificate or what?

"Begin the enrollment..." is starting from a very beginning, those steps are about getting a certificate (CSR=Certificate Signing Request). So you may want to skip that.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    "Begin the enrollment..." is starting from a very beginning, those steps are about getting a certificate (CSR=Certificate Signing Request). So you may want to skip that.
    I applied that too but still my problem is there, When after following those steps I put application (Jar and Jad) in mobile phone with date 2015 (That is greater than the date of my certificate validation) it still shows error on run that certificate invalid according to device's date.

Timestamp signatures (more details) are not checked by Nokia – or stated differently, until today timestamping neither worked for me nor have I seen any other J2ME environment offering this feature.

I bought a VeriSign certificate with the longest validity and I am re-signing my MIDlet (with a new certificate) before its signature expires. An alternative was to go for the Nokia Ovi Store, who do the signing for me: Virtually, there is not expiration. Another alternative was to go for Java Verified which provides a certification which is valid for ten years.
    Last edited by traud; 2013-03-05 at 10:44.

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    Timestamp signatures (more details) are not checked by Nokia – or stated differently, until today timestamping neither worked for me nor have I seen any other J2ME environment offering this feature.

I bought a VeriSign certificate with the longest validity and I am re-signing my MIDlet (with a new certificate) before its signature expires. An alternative was to go for the Nokia Ovi Store, who do the signing for me: Virtually, there is not expiration. Another alternative was to go for Java Verified which provides a certification which is valid for ten years.
    Going for Nokia OVI, you said there is no issue of expiration. Would that be applicable for all of the Java enable sets? as I am targeting General Java Enable sets, rather than only Nokia Devices. Thanks for your convincing reply.

Could you please re-phrase you question, I did not get it, yet.

My guess answer: Nokia Ovi Store does not give you – personally –, a signed variant of your MIDlet. They provide the signed variant only via the Nokia Ovi Store. If your MIDlet is free (for some days) you can actually hijack the JAD and JAR yourself and distribute it yourself, then. If that is allowed legally, I have not checked with the terms of the Nokia Ovi Store agreement.

Besides the legality concern (of extracting signed content from the Store), it may happen that stuff signed by Nokia is bound to Nokia devices.

Thank you that's what I meant to ask. So it's sure that we have to renew our certificate after it's date of expiry ...