Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Symbian online library

Hi,
    once upon a time there was an online library for Symbian dev... can't find it anymore, seems no more available... ?

thnx,
    regards
    pg

Super Contributor

Re: Symbian online library

https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Library/ ( see the bottom row in the "grid"; Symbian and Qt, Symbian C++ ).

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Library/ ( see the bottom row in the "grid"; Symbian and Qt, Symbian C++ ).
    yes,thnx, but you can only donwload it... it's no more online... or maybe i'm missing something obvious, it wouldn't be the first time :-)
    (yes, i know they are goind dead, but then why is harmattan still online? ;-) )

Nokia Developer Moderator

Yes, it started last week, around Thursday. Mysteriously enough some links still worked that time (results of Google searches), but now they do not work any more.

We are using a different documentation system now and moving the Symbian libraries to the new online system would have been very difficult (old format), therefore we are providing the libraries as offline versions. No content has been removed.

I do appreciate that this is a pain from the point of view of pointing people to documents (and indeed its a pain for me as the wiki has heaps of links to the libraries). However I've been told that the offline versions "are" the fix and that we will have to live with it.

Regards
    Hamish

Regular Contributor

If there is will,there is a way..You guys just pure lazy.I cant believe guys in charge in nokia become so lazy.Even app rating "best seller" and "top free" categories in nokia store mobile have not been updated for month.It used to be updated daily.Now only "featured" categories is updated daily even then the same app appear again few days later."Featured" app is supposed to be hand picked by nokia guys.This just show how lazy nokia guys becoming to.Nokia is not dead because of symbian,it is nokia that cause the dead of symbian

Regarding the comment that nothing has been removed, while true the resulting downloadable versions I am finding are orders of magnitude more time consuming to use.

For example try searching for the file server documentation. If I put in a search for "class RFs" or just "RFs" I get over 100 results, none of which are the RFs documentation page. Even it's usage in other class documentation pages isn't hyperlinked so I can't get to it that way.

Under the previous online version such a search would instantly yield the page you are looking for. I've resorted to using the snippets stored in the online search's cache to read library linkage details thanks to the unfriendliness of these versions.

Bearing in mind that Windows Phone sales figures are much lower than Symbian's for the last two years (the standard phone contract length), and so presumably still has more handsets in use currently, it does feel somewhat premature to take this action.

Some possible workarounds are http://www.symlab.org/ for on-line documentation, and keeping an S60 3rd FP1 SDK on the hard drive (that is the last one having a .chm help).

Hi Wizard,

Thanks for your constructive suggestions - @duncan.waugh, hope this makes things a bit easier for you.

Regards
    Hamish

Regular Contributor

Not just symbian library.Certain qt/qml symbian documentation and its link is also missing and broken.In google search,certain qml element documentation is no longer available and it is redirected to to qt5 page which not helpful at all.Now i need to use harmattan qml library for reference.Since both platform is not so different,i still can use the harmattan qml library as a reference for symbian use.

Considering that "Qt on Nokia devices which are not based on Symbian" means 1.5 devices from the near past (N9+N950), Qt has not much brighter future in the context of this site than what Symbian has.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Considering that "Qt on Nokia devices which are not based on Symbian" means 1.5 devices from the near past (N9+N950), Qt has not much brighter future in the context of this site than what Symbian has.
    Errr,can't get what are you trying to say though I think you try say qt is not for symbian?

What Wizard means would be something like, both Symbian and Qt would have similar precedence (in terms of Nokia strategy) and hence if Symbian is off from online documentation, you cannot expect Qt to be there.

Regular Contributor

But at least symbian library still got the offline version for reference but there are nothing for qt/qml.If it cannot be supported at least the documentation should be archived.Now there are no any guide in certain qml element at all for its usage reference.Also qt/qml is already takeover by digia and all the previous documentation should be manage by digia so i know it is not nokia fault but digia.I will try to make a request or petition.If none still works,the last resort would be initiate lawsuit against digia though i do wish i don't have to go to latter path.

You can find most of the Qt components for Symbian documentation here:

http://web.archive.org/web/201209060...s-symbian-1.1/

It's slow and some pages are missing but it's better than nothing.