Discussion Board

Thread: Dev Machine

Dev Machine

So had an awesome three days at MWC 2013 and met some awesome people.
    I am back working on my HTML5 App to compliment the website (plan is to have the app ready when the site is ready to go live).
    I have decided to upgrade to Windows 8 and and take advantage of the of the cool candies in the WP8 SDK.
    Any suggestions of PC machine or laptop? what is your dev station set-up?
    Right now i dual-boot on my mac mini.

Also developing the website in html5 in an open fashion so feel free to visit and give feedback (www.uktechguy.com) working on it everyday so will change day to day.

Was nice meeting a few of you at MWC and good luck in the Hackathon today (28th Feb 2013) if your taking part.

William

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Dev Machine

Basically you would need to check that you can run Hyper-V in the machine, thus you would need to see that its supportPro version of Wined: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...for-hosts.aspx

Then to get OS supporting Hyper-V, you would need to get the pro version of the Windows 8.

Generally the requirements are to get the emulator working,

Note also that not all BIOS's are supporting the SLAT or DEP settings, at least I have found one i7 Sony VAIO which does not have any BIOS settings to get Hyper-V working, anyway, with normal Windows 8 I can still do development in it, simply by just never using emulator and instead using read device for debugging.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hello William,

My WP8 dev machine (laptop) got a i5 2430M which is slat capable, and a 4Gb Memory, it's doing great without any problem.

other than the SLAT capable processor, I recommand a SSD drive, it's helps a lot in emulation and about 4gb or more in memory.

Nokia Developer Champion

I would recommend at least a Core i5 and 8GB RAM (RAM is very cheap these days) and definitely an SSD!

Personally, I develop on a Core i7 desktop and a Core i7 based Macbook Pro (Windows 8 via Bootcamp).

Just throwing my 2 cents also

My current dev machine is a i7 with 8gb or RAM. I dont have an SSD yet but that will be something I will be looking at in a near future. The machine is fast and the IDE works really well. After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 I also noticed greatly improved boot times and an overal performance increase in many tasks. The machine simply feels faster and lighter, if that makes sense to you

Nice!! installed windows 8 via the bootcampe on my i5 mac while i keep looking.. so far all is average.
    How was the dev day on the thurdays last week at MWC?

Quote Originally Posted by Techtertainment View Post
    Nice!! installed windows 8 via the bootcampe on my i5 mac while i keep looking.. so far all is average.
    How was the dev day on the thurdays last week at MWC?
    It was great! In fact the whole event way really an amazing experience.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post
    It was great! In fact the whole event way really an amazing experience.
    Agreed. Nokia put on a great show, both for developers and consumers. All the devices and accessories to play with, plus lots of great 3rd party apps (Nokia Music for Win8, the new Four Square app for WP8).

The developer day on Monday and WIPJam on Thursday were a lot of fun as well. I'm glad the coffee was free!