Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Creating a Trial App with usage limit

Hi

I have created a app and i want to make it as payed app with trial download. But i want to limit the user to use the app for 20 times.

Everything is ok, and the app is working for 20times and at the 21st time it shows trial expired and asking to buy the app.

BTW i am using teleriks RAD control "RadTrialApplicationReminder" for checking the app usage status.

But the problem is when the user uninstall the app on the device and reinstall it again he can use the app again for 20times

How can i make the app for using only 20 times for trial?

Else any other easy way to overcome this/

Any help?

Binu

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Creating a Trial App with usage limit

One possible scenario:
    Are you asking for some registration when the app is installed on device? If yes, then you might be maintaining that info on some server. Next time if someone tries to re-install the app, you can compare.

Thanks pooja.

But if i use that service, i need to check every time and it will create delay for my app to load.

Is there any other way with microsoft?

Binu
    Last edited by binu_ji; 2013-03-01 at 09:49.
    My Apps - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-IN/store/publishers?publisherId=Binu

Nokia Developer Champion

The only way to control usage is having the info in a remote server, when you uninstall an app, all information is deleted. You can check the server with async method when the user gets to the first page, this way no delay is observed by the user...

Ok will try it and get back.

Anybody have sample code for server side.

Planning to send the device ID to the server and to store it there. I am coding my app on visual basic and so planning a ASP page at server side.

I am newbie at server side coding with database.

Binu

Nokia Developer Champion

Hello,
    I suggest you to create an asmx webservice (or WCF) instead of an asp page, it'll be easier to communicate with
    Code:
    [WebMethod]
            public string Register(string deviceID)
            {
                //Code to add an entry to a database or store to xml

}
    Then all you have to do is add the Service endpoint URL to the references (Add Service Reference) in your windows phone app, the handling code will be generated .

In a trial model , I suggest you limit functionalities instead of limiting time, this way you don't even need to do this kind of things to prevent abuse, and users will more likely buy the app

Hey thanks, will try it today.
    In a trial model , I suggest you limit functionalities instead of limiting time, this way you don't even need to do this kind of things to prevent abuse, and users will more likely buy the ap
    The problem is there is only one function in the app, so i cant limit it for trial purpose.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I would not use that Trial approach unless thats the only way you have to prevent the user from using the app.

If your app has a server side component, then keeping that data on the server does work well. But the fact is that you want your user to continue to use your app right? Otherwise the user will not see updates to the app, you cant ask the user for reviews, or let him know of your other apps, etc.

Trial with limited functionality if the best approach. Another approach is that the user will start a trial and after x amount of time if the user does not buys the app, but continue to use, then you can activate a advertisement component. That way if the user really likes your app and does not like the advertizing, he/she will but your app. If not you will get at least some return with advertising and at the same time you keep your users interested and using your app.

I would never stop an user from using my app after some time. I much prefer having someone using my app even if that means including advertising on the app, than having the user uninstall an app.

Again a problem is there, with the web service. If a user buy the app and if he uninstall the app and reinstall it then the app will check the webservice and it wont allow him to use the app even he buy the app.

Thanks João Cardoso, for your reply.

Here is my app link http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...d-76e8679815ba

It has only 1 function, which makes the user to type in hindi.

Since there is no trial download nobody buys it and the download count is 0. Also there is only 1 function here so i cant limit the functionality for this app for trial download.

Any new ideas?

Binu

Nokia Developer Champion

Again a problem is there, with the web service. If a user buy the app and if he uninstall the app and reinstall it then the app will check the webservice and it wont allow him to use the app even he buy the app.
    I don't see a problem in it.
    First of all, user will have a trial version. His info would be stored on some remote server. Now he uninstall the app but the server still maintains his info. If the user now buy the app, then he must have received some license key. If he now tries to register on the app again then rather than a single check of lets say mobile number on server, we can have a combination of mobile number & license key. On server, you can check if the number is already registered and if the license key is now provided by the user then you can let him register again. In this case, when the user tries to register the app, you need to ask him his license key as well.

Above solution mentioned is just a hint which can be analyzed more.

Nice idea.

But is there any api to get the mobile number of the user?

Mobile phones generally do not know their phone numbers, the most they could reliably access is the IMSI.
    However if you are just using the phone, you are probably familiar with Live ID, and may have noticed that some applications ask permission for accessing "owner identity". That is what you could aim for. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...K_Capabilities lists that as ID_CAP_IDENTITY_USER, and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=VS.92%29.aspx may be the call (though it lists WP 7 and 7.1 only, so there can be a newer API)

Well, my opinion is that if you dont get any downloads on your app, not even trial, then you have a bigger problem than worrying about multiple trials by the same user. You should focus first on getting more users to download and use your app.

For that I have 3 possible alternatives for your business model:

a) make the app free to use and make the user buy the app to unlock the publish to some of the social networks
    b) make it free and add Nokia Ad Exchange to your app.
    c) You can also temporary make it free to get some downloads and some reviews on the app, to make it more visible, and later make it a paid app again.

Personally on your case, and because your app is so simple, I would try the b) option first.

Thanks João, i will go with the first option.

Submitted back to the store.

Thanks for all your support guys.

Binu