Discussion Board

Exclamation S40 web tool development

Does we develop application and game in Nokia S40 series using web tool.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: S40 web tool development

In general the Web tools are not really suiatble for games as such, since games usually would require highly responsive UI engines etc. Thus I would suggest checking the tools & what can be done with them, and then seeing whether they would be suitable for your targets. And if you feel you need something else, then do check the Java ME offering for more options.

Super Contributor

Hi ahsanSDq! Welcome to Nokia Developer Discussion Boards!!

In Series 40 you can do app Development in Java & Web Apps. But Web apps is not the right technology to develop games. You can develop some simple games though with Web Apps.

For advanced Game development in Series 40, you can choose Java ME.

Regards
    Gopal

Thank U for rply.

I want to some useful web application, Nokia provide any compatible tool for rich web application....

Super Contributor

All the tools available for Nokia Web Apps Development is available here : https://www.developer.nokia.com/Deve...eb_apps/Tools/

Regards
    Gopal

I have been looking at developing application using the Nokia Web Developer Environment in the past few days.

Like has already been mentioned, there are limitations (lack of data persistence on the device) but what is loses in power, it more than makes up for in speed. Applications that might take a week using JME could be done in as little as a day with Nokia WDE. If you're doing an application that you know can be replicated on HTML easily enough, then the Nokia Web Tools are ideal.

By the way, the most useful guide to getting started is the following PDF - http://tools.nokia.com/wt/doc/jsdt/s..._Reference.pdf I spent quite a lot of time fishing in the dark until I stumbled across that API reference. It really should be made into a web accessible HTML version (i.e. if you Google an mwl operation, a reference to the API should pop up, like it does for Java).

My only criticism at the moment with WDE is that there are far too few of the latest devices on RDA. At the moment, there isn't a single S40 Developer Platform 2.0 that I can test my applications on. There are only two devices on S40 Developer Platform 1.1 (one of them won't even launch the Nokia Xpress browser, so really 1 device). Finally, there isn't a single S40 Developer Platform 1.0 device.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by grift View Post
    By the way, the most useful guide to getting started is the following PDF - http://tools.nokia.com/wt/doc/jsdt/s..._Reference.pdf I spent quite a lot of time fishing in the dark until I stumbled across that API reference. It really should be made into a web accessible HTML version (i.e. if you Google an mwl operation, a reference to the API should pop up, like it does for Java).
    Yep, it's very useful. I'm not sure if you're aware about the online 'Series 40 Web Apps Developer's Library', pretty useful too. For example, the mwl operations are listed here: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...l-methods.html

I would personally love downloadable .chm format for the developer library!
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com