Discussion Board

Hybrid View

svg or bitmaps?? which one is better

Hi,

I am going to start a new app from scratch. It has high usage of images. Just wanted to know if bitmaps or svg images would be better to use in the app considering the performance of the application? I know svgs are independent of screen size and they can stretch according the screen size but i am going have only one resolution for the app i.e 360x640. If screen size is fixed, then do you think bitmaps are better to use than svgs?

Please suggest. I have not worked with svgs so far. If you think svgs are better in all situations, plz provide some links explaining usage of svgs in application views and as application icon as well.

Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: svg or bitmaps?? which one is better

Basically the main point of SVG is that they are scalable, anyway, if you do only support one resolution, then you probably would find it faster & easier to use bitmaps.

ok thanks yucca.

But is there any easy to use method to use svg tiny icons for application icon atleast. I have browsed few links but they talk about purchasing Inspace and all. Can't we do it easy way?

Basically you could use your favourite internet search engine to find free tools for making SVG images, and then use the SVG2SVGT converter included in SDKs to convert the resulting SVG image to supported format.

Anyway, SVG's are text files, so in thepory you could modify them with any text tool as well, though its not really practical in reality.

Side note: Inkscape is completely free and it is open source in addition. There is not much to purchase on it, http://inkscape.org/ - however note that it produces regular SVG files, so you have to be careful about the features you use if you want the result to be usable on phones (with SVG Tiny support).