Discussion Board

Lightbulb Phone Task Control

Hi, all

Using the phone task you can enable user to make dials through your app by code like that :

PhoneCallTask phoneCallTask = new PhoneCallTask();
    phoneCallTask.PhoneNumber = "123-456-78";
    phoneCallTask.DisplayName = "Tom Brown";
    phoneCallTask.Show();

Which main that the app creator can put any number so maybe balance transfer request.

i know that the user will see the number which will be called , but if he don’t know that this is a service he may be cheated .

My question can i develop app that detect when any app installed on the same device try to use PHoneCallTask and make log for this by (App / number / Time)?
    and if that is available can I control on these request and prevent any irregular numbers from being called (start with * for Example)?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Phone Task Control

That would require you to access the actual code of other applications. It is extremely unlikely that such API would be available for 3rd parties.

EDIT: I meant static analysis. For actual usage detection and logging you would need hooks, which are even less likely to be available.
    Last edited by wizard_hu_; 2013-03-05 at 11:22.

May be in control phone Task this is unlikely but what about if I want at least to log data? Or otherwise to validate the data of the task itself and show response to the user not prevent or control the execution of the task?

Nokia Developer Champion

Windows Phone uses an app sandboxing security system, which means that your app cannot have access to any other app in the system, either to take actions or to log them

so , have not I any solution to prevent app from calling numbers which contain special characters ( * / #)?

Quote Originally Posted by Windows Phone Developer View Post
    so , have not I any solution to prevent app from calling numbers which contain special characters ( * / #)?
    You cannot create system level applications which access system level features. Each application is a world for itself and you cannot detect, log or block anything from another application.

Since you always see the number before calling, it is reasonable to accept that the person will willfully call the number shown thus removing the need for phone number screening.