Discussion Board

redering countries with different colors using nokia maps

I am developing an application on wp8 / wp7 which will show a map with countries filled with different colors based on some data. For example it will show population density of the world.

For this to work I would be needing geo-coordinate information of all country boundaries, so that I can map that to screen coordinates and overlay polygons on top of the map. Is there any API to get such information in Bing maps or Nokia maps? I am specifically interested in Nokia maps.

Thanks,
    Manish

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: redering countries with different colors using nokia maps

as far as I know there is no API for this purpose, so I would suggest checking whether there would be any which you could use over HTTP connection.

Super Contributor

Wouldn't it be much, much easier/simpler to just use, e.g., an existing bitmap (or vector format, for better scaling) of all countries (where you have used specific colours for specific countries, and where you can simply replace the colours you wish in the palette with whatever you want to use)?

In other words, relying on geo-coordinates for all the borders and maps from Bing/Nokia/others seems like it's rather complex/overkill for something like this.

Or is there something else in your list of requirements (that you haven't mentioned) where using Bing or Nokia maps is required?

Check out d-maps, they have such data in SVG format which you could parse and use.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    as far as I know there is no API for this purpose, so I would suggest checking whether there would be any which you could use over HTTP connection.
    Any pointers on HTTP connection api?

You can use WebClient or HttpWebRequest/Response. But seriously, download SVG map and get its coordinates. Then you can create overlays over the map for each country.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Wouldn't it be much, much easier/simpler to just use, e.g., an existing bitmap (or vector format, for better scaling) of all countries (where you have used specific colours for specific countries, and where you can simply replace the colours you wish in the palette with whatever you want to use)?

In other words, relying on geo-coordinates for all the borders and maps from Bing/Nokia/others seems like it's rather complex/overkill for something like this.

Or is there something else in your list of requirements (that you haven't mentioned) where using Bing or Nokia maps is required?
    Basically i want to have something like below but i am not supposed to use Google map api for my app.

https://developers.google.com/chart/...llery/geochart

I suppose there are no such charting apis in bing and nokia maps, please correct me if i am wrong. So far after reading and searching i came to know that Nokia maps / Bing maps do not provide any such support. Then i came across dataconnector project (http://dataconnector.codeplex.com/). Dataconnector has a database containing spatial data (geocordinates / gemoetry) information of all the country. And there is one WCF service which uses the database and returns returns a PNG file with rendered countries with some color. Then this PNG file i am overlaying over maps control in my wp app. This is what i want. But i was searching for something which is already available in Nokia/Bing Maps. Please let me know if there is such a thing already in built in Nokia maps.