Discussion Board

Is it possible to use Twitter APIs from a web app ?

Hello.

I've developed Java apps for S40 devices in the past, but I have never created a web App for that platform. I'm currently evaluating whether I should use Java or the web tools to build an application that among other things needs to read some content from Twitter.

I've seen in the web apps documentation that it is pretty easy to share content on Facebook and Twitter by means of their text sharing services, but: is it possible to use something like Twitter's streaming or search APIs from a web app ?

Any comments or suggestions highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -CarlosDL

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Is it possible to use Twitter APIs from a web app ?

Quote Originally Posted by cadlg View Post
    Hello.

I've developed Java apps for S40 devices in the past, but I have never created a web App for that platform. I'm currently evaluating whether I should use Java or the web tools to build an application that among other things needs to read some content from Twitter.

I've seen in the web apps documentation that it is pretty easy to share content on Facebook and Twitter by means of their text sharing services, but: is it possible to use something like Twitter's streaming or search APIs from a web app ?

Any comments or suggestions highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Hi Carlos

If your app is mainly a content rendering app, S40 Web Apps would be a good choice.

Any web service with a JSON / XML response (or even a custom format) is easy to use with Web Apps. Give it a go!
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Thanks croozeus.

For Java apps there are libraries that already handle the OAuth process, which is probably the more difficult part of using those APIs. Do you know if there is something similar that could be used in a web app?

I will need to do some processing/mining on the information retrieved with those APIs. How efficient are web apps on that field? would the aforementioned processing need to be done with javascript?

Also, I am not clear yet whether there is a way to use some kind of database to store user information, from web apps.

Many questions, I know, but I have not been able to find such information on the documentation.

Thanks for your answers/comments.
    -CarlosDL

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi Carlos

For Java apps there are libraries that already handle the OAuth process, which is probably the more difficult part of using those APIs. Do you know if there is something similar that could be used in a web app?
    OAuth process can be bit tricky to handle, since everything you do on the Nokia Xpress browser goes through the proxy server for compression. However, this can be worked around by using an "OAuth authentication helper server" which would do the hand-holding until you generate the Access Token and Token Secret. Check this article for an elaborate explanation: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...es_40_Web_Apps

I will need to do some processing/mining on the information retrieved with those APIs. How efficient are web apps on that field? would the aforementioned processing need to be done with javascript?
    This is doable with javascript. However, note that all the javascript (except the mwl functions) is executed on the proxy server.

Also, I am not clear yet whether there is a way to use some kind of database to store user information, from web apps.
    Unfortunately, there is no local database to store data. No persistence storage of local data at all. However, depending on your requirement - you can store some small user information using widget.preferences on the cloud. To see how widget.preferences work, check this article: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...es_40_Web_Apps

Hope that helps.
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

That certainly helps.

Thank you.
    -CarlosDL