Discussion Board

Canvas or LWUIT? (J2ME)

Hello Developers/Experts.

We are developing j2me s40 app in which we are covering following UI components.

a) Buttons with images, styles (while button is selected/un-selected, transparency)
    b) Combo box, checkbox,
    c) lists with colors,thumbnails,
    d) title bar with some button components.
    e) forms with different style like color, layouts etc.

But we are confused whether to use Canvas or LWUIT.

I request you champions developers with which one we will proceed.
    If possible also share/comapre both the approach.

Waiting for your valuable reply.

Thanks & Regards,
    Vishal.

Re: Canvas or LWUIT? (J2ME)

First, I would go for LCDUI and double check whether the limitation is really so great not to use that or this nice feature. Do I really, really need it?
    Then I would go for LWUIT and Canvas in parallel. The implementation team which succeeds first and/or is best wins.

This was not the answer you were looking for, however, your question is one of these questions I have to answer myself every time again, too.

Super Contributor

Hi vishal.bharati! Welcome to Nokia Developer Discussion Boards!!

In my quick look & IMHO, it would be good to go with Canvas in this case as you might face some roadblocks if going with LWUIT for certain components.

But if you are willing to sacrifice certain components and want ease of coding, LWUIT could be selected too.

Regards
    Gopal
    Twitter : @balagopalks
    Linkedin : @balagopalks

Super Contributor

personally I would have a good look at LWUIT, if for example it supplies the desired UI elements that you list !
    If it does then the choice would be simple, learning LWUIT will be a fraction of the time needed for actually developing the desired UI elements yourself ! Also, if I'm not mistaken, LWUIT is open source so in case you would want to customize some stuff you could choose (maybe in a second stadium) to do so and allocate the needed resources (people) at that moment in time. After all LWUIT is using Canvas as well
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Re: j2me audio streaming with two players

Hello Expert..

Thanks for your valuable help.
    Seems like LWUIT meets my UI requirement.
    Will definitely go with it.
    One last thing. Is there anything else (only for listed components in orignial question) which we cant do with LWUIT and can only do using Canvas.
    In which situation Canvas is better than LWUIT.

Super Contributor

Re: j2me audio streaming with two players

well, using Canvas implies you could (theoretically) implement any functionality you want, using a 3rd party library (like LWUIT) limits you to what they implemented... But again : it's open source an based on Canvas itself so you can always tailor fit it to your needs !!!
    So it's difficult to answer your question : yes you might say that if I wanted a side-scrolling list, with an animation, having a background with bunnies, and pink-colored text and (like the samsung galaxy s4) tracking your eye movement to determine which way the list should scroll you might be better of using canvas (and all kind of other api's like camera api)...
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.